The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Doctors' attitudes to endometriosis in The Guardian

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by SamanthaJ, Mar 23, 2017.

1. SamanthaJ

SamanthaJ Senior Member

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-get-endometriosis-or-does-endo-make-you-mad

Don't be put off by the title, it's a quote from a doctor, not the tone of the article. The article's about the medical attitudes that women with endometriosis encounter, and even though I don't have that condition, it sounds oh so familiar.

Loved this quote:
    As the writer Sophie Heawood said, “The older I get, the more I see how women are described as having gone mad, when what they’ve actually become is knowledgeable and powerful and f*cking furious.”

dangermouse, Plum, slysaint and 16 others like this.
  2. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Oh for crying out loud. How on earth in this day and age, with something which is obviously a real thing, visible (with the laporoscopy) can some doctors say it's not real?? I'm sitting here baffled and fuming. And very grateful for my own gp who thankfully has never suggested either my endo or my ME symptoms are in my head. Good lord. Those idiot doctors should be struck off. Going to go and take some deep breaths now :rolleyes:

SamanthaJ, MEMum, dangermouse and 4 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

They're probably deeply invested in not believing it's real, due to having treated patients with it so poorly in the past. If they admit to themselves that it's real, they have to admit that they were wrong and neglectful, and often nasty and hurtful as well.

4. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    Well, they're going to have even more patients to feel guilty about if they ever pull their out of their ......ahem the sand :whistle: Of course they may just keep their head stuck there. Sigh.

Little Bluestem, Plum and trishrhymes like this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge plodder

Some elements of gynecology caught up in "medically unexplained symptoms" net if I remember right.....................

SamanthaJ and trishrhymes like this.

See more popular forum discussions.