• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctors' attitudes to endometriosis in The Guardian

SamanthaJ

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...e-get-endometriosis-or-does-endo-make-you-mad

Don't be put off by the title, it's a quote from a doctor, not the tone of the article. The article's about the medical attitudes that women with endometriosis encounter, and even though I don't have that condition, it sounds oh so familiar.

Loved this quote:
As the writer Sophie Heawood said, “The older I get, the more I see how women are described as having gone mad, when what they’ve actually become is knowledgeable and powerful and f*cking furious.”

mirshine

Oh for crying out loud. How on earth in this day and age, with something which is obviously a real thing, visible (with the laporoscopy) can some doctors say it's not real?? I'm sitting here baffled and fuming. And very grateful for my own gp who thankfully has never suggested either my endo or my ME symptoms are in my head. Good lord. Those idiot doctors should be struck off. Going to go and take some deep breaths now :rolleyes:

How on earth in this day and age, with something which is obviously a real thing, visible (with the laporoscopy) can some doctors say it's not real??
They're probably deeply invested in not believing it's real, due to having treated patients with it so poorly in the past. If they admit to themselves that it's real, they have to admit that they were wrong and neglectful, and often nasty and hurtful as well.