• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor Distress! Not sure what to do.

Jennifer J

@Kati
Thank you. I like Patient in training under your name:) I agree saying that, in the way @SOC wrote to talk with my doctor's office is the best idea. And you're right, I do get PEM walking back and forth to the front door. Thank you for welcoming me to PR. I'm so glad all of you are here, and we can support and help each other through this.

Thank you, @Dreambirdie. I agree, @SOC, , and I like your name. too.:)

Hi, @minkeygirl,. I smile every time I see your cat picture. I know, it is starting to sound like insurance might be playing a role in what happened the other day with me. I'll know more when I talk to my doctor's office. I'm hoping to straighten it out Monday since I haven't had enough energy to verbally communicate or do much the past few days.

I do need to scan google some more when I can. All these things literally takes years due to limited energy and trying to survive. I did call a few food delivery places and I didn't fit their criteria. There's one for cancer or AIDS patients, that might do housebound patients. I need a social worker for them and I need to get my doctors notes fixed. The past few times I was there, in spite of me saying I was too tired to go over much, I was laying down, etc. My notes she marked patient isn't fatigued and no mention of anything that is going on with me.

I did phone some religious groups, too, a few years ago. They needed me to be or have been an attending member in their church or organization. They said unfortunately there is more need than what they are able to assist with in their own community.

I'll keep looking. I have all kinds of ideas how to make things happen. I just don't have enough ability. Years and years go by as I keep searching. Maybe, perhaps, hopefully, that will change with appropriate treatment/s or better housing and more substantial food.

Thank you for encouraging me and the ideas. I will also check out again the Americans with disabilities act. I did several years ago and it didn't seem to have anything that pertained to my situation. I need to be careful, I can't afford to lose my housing which could be easy to do. I've been looking for years trying to move out of here. I have an angiodema reaction to most scents which has complicated being able to find a place to live, as well as finances and being mainly bed and housebound.

I hope you were able to get Section 8. Sorry 5 and more years is so long to wait for it.

Jennifer J

@Tammy. . Thank you for what you wrote and @minkeygirl and @belize44 regarding the housing wait. In San Diego the wait is at least 9 years. I didn't know anywhere was less than a year! I thought most places were around 7 years if they even had an open waiting list. Wow that is good to hear, even though a year is a long time to wait when you need help with housing. Hmmm.... you have me thinking.

Here's an interesting article I found last night if anyone needs more information about Section 8 process, wait list and open lists nationwide.

http://affordablehousingonline.com/open-section-8-waiting-lists

@ahimsa, thank you for suggesting 211 especially since others may not have heard of it. I hope they do have it through out the country for others to use.

It is a good resource. I've used it and they've referred me to various places for social workers. Unfortunately, the criteria of the places: I wasn't old enough, didn't have the right medical condition, they wanted me to be part of their medical plan and only see their doctors then they'd allow me to see a social worker, or .... I'll call them again and see what other options they may have. I don't really want to do anything through a city agency because I don't have the energy to do the extras that usually come with bureaucracies and the lack of flexibility.

Thank you for understanding and wishing me good luck:).

Thanks, @Kati :) It does sound like a circus. In my carefree dream, I'm a trapeze artist. At times, I think some of my reality is more of a tight rope walker. You made me think of this movie because one of the characters is a circus performer. It's one of my favorite movies Wim Wenders "Wings of Desire", I relate to even more since I've been sick and mainly housebound. I now have an heightened deeper awareness and appreciation for the littlest things in life.

Jennifer J

Hi, @barbc56. I like your picture image. I'm glad they have the 211 that @ahimsa recommended in your state. I'm curious, what is a sticky? That's a great idea to have one for help.

Thank you @Eeyore (that's a good name, too) for the suggestion. Thankfully, I went through that already. It took 8 years and a few lawyers. (They denied me most of the years of pay.) Silly me, when I first called SSA office I thought from talking to the agent, that I'd get my disability within a couple of months. I learned a lot through that experience.

Hi, @belize44. I like seeing your name. It takes me away. Belize is a pretty country.
I'm glad they had city based housing for you and the wait was about a year instead of much longer. It's true about depending where you live and how congested the area is. Also, the resources in the area. I called some housing places and the wait list is closed or it's many years to wait or I need to be older (I asked them if being disabled would help, no). I'll keep calling, there's other places to call.

@Gingergrrl, I like your dachshund. That's a good idea, thank you. I will call the senior center, to see if they can help or where they refer a disabled person who isn't a senior. My housing is tricky, I don't want to lose it without having a new home. I will see what can be done with what you recommended.

I was hoping my doctors office would have resources. They work with the poor and low income community. It's a community clinic. In the past, they had a few resources but I couldn't access them due to my limited ability and other complications.

Unfortunately, IHSS doesn't work that well for me living here. The way it's set up and where I live, it takes so much out of me, it's a huge struggle and stressor for me, with it I crash harder and things that I really need aren't authorized including having food cooked. There isn't much, if any, wiggle room with them. Thank you for thinking of it. I'll keep trying, as we all are, to make the best decisions, find a way, and doing the best that I can.

I'm very grateful for Phoenix Rising, all of you on here, and all that are trying to make it better. I only know how to do the smile emoticon but my heart and mind is sending many other ones to you all.:) I'm wishing improved health and circumstances for everyone.