Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Doctor accuse dying woman of faking it

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Countrygirl, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday, Jun 19 2012 6AM 13°C 9AM 16°C 5-Day Forecast
    Doctors accused my wife of faking illness - hours later she had died from a stroke
    • Mother-of-two was suffering violent headaches and vomiting
    • On her third visit to hospital she was told to 'stop shouting and making a fuss' in A&E
    • Family told Mrs Maddox's discharge notes had gone missing
    • Widower bringing private legal action against hospital
    PUBLISHED: 14:28, 18 June 2012 | UPDATED: 14:32, 18 June 2012
    • A grieving widower is suing a hospital after his wife collapsed and died from a massive stroke - just hours after she was sent home accused of pretending to be ill.
    Philip Maddox, 58, was told by doctors his wife Maggie, 53, needed psychiatric help because they could find nothing wrong with her despite her complaining she was in agony with severe headaches and vomiting.
    An inquest heard she first went to Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford, Kent, on June 14, 2010, but was sent home, having been told there was nothing wrong with her.
    [​IMG]
    Phillip Maddox holds a picture of his wife, who died in June 2010. She went back to the hospital three times before they then diagnosed a massive stroke
    Then her husband took her back there 10 days later, on June 24, when she suffered similar symptoms including dizziness.
    Maggie was discharged again - against her wishes - but that night at home she continued to complain she felt unwell and was driven back to the hospital by her son because Philip had to go to work. She collapsed in the hospital car park.
    Staff got her into a wheelchair and took her into the Accident and Emergency department, but a nurse told her to 'stop shouting and making a fuss'.
    • Still, doctors did not seem to take Maggie's complaints seriously and left her in the waiting area.
    Finally, she was admitted and a consultant diagnosed she had suffered a massive stroke.
    Maggie, who worked in the Asda transport department, died three days later.
    Her death has devastated her husband and their daughter Leah, 28, and 26-year-old son Blake.
    To make matters worse, the family were subsequently told some of her medical records had not been properly kept and her discharge notes from June 24 had gone missing.

2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    My complete sympathies - I don't know what it is that in the medical "culture" in the UK that allows them to use "psychological" issues as a diagnosis to cover their medical ignorance. I'm in Kent too and have had to learn precisely whom and which hospitals to avoid. Anyone noticed the rising claims against the NHS over at least the last decade - negligence is obvious. And of course the old paternalist stance - "we know better than you". Fact is they don't anymore - medical knowledge is so freely available on the web that many turn to in preference when trying to understand and treat their illnesses.

But still good dedicated Docs and hospital staff around - obviously not here.

3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    OMG.. they believed what the hospital was telling them over what their family member was experiencing and they themselves would of been seeing. I know this is mean but hope they feel very guilty for that. There is no excuse for ignoring her .her family should of been backing her up. She must of been so emotionally cut up as well over her families disbelief of her suffering.

How on earth can the coroner say the hospital care was appropriate? Accusing someone who is very sick of faking it is never appropriate . She should at least have been given the benefit of the doubt and admitted even if they didnt know what was wrong.. that would of been appropiate.

Ive had the same kind of treatment done to me.. fortunately so far Im alive still. Knowing that if one died and a hospital STILL could get away with it, its so wrong and situation which should certainly be changed. Hospitals should be made to be responsible for pain, suffering and anything else they've caused when they are wrong.

4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    The Grand Incestous Nepotistic Realm of the Glorious British Raj!
    Where incompetence never sets on the Glorious Empire of the Old School Tie and Privilege, because they all look out for each other's arses and make DAMN sure to lose records, files, and forget anything ever happened.
    yes isn't it simply wonderful, darlings, hm?

[​IMG]

Sigh!

See more popular forum discussions.