1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Docs familiar with MTHFR protocol or Simplified Methylation Protocol from Rich Van Konynenburg?

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Scotty81, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Scotty81

Scotty81

Hello,

In another posting, I mentioned that I am advocating for my daughter who has CFS, FM, POTs and IBS. She was tested for 2 genetic variations of MTHFR and was found to be compound heterozygous for both A1298C and C677T.

I am wondering if anyone knows of any docs that actually have experience in treating someone (e.g. the proper dosing of supplements) with such genetic polymorphisms. I am in the Philadelphia, PA area but could consider New Jersey, New York, Maryland and Washington, DC - i.e. the general mid-Atlantic area.

I am aware Dr. Ben Lynch has a list of those docs who have been attended his training program, but I don't know any of those folks. Ideally, I'd prefer a medical doc who takes insurance, but we've already been to an ND (who our insurance provider doesn't recognize), so I assume this will be the case again.

I have communicated with a few genetics labs at hospitals, but for the most part, they indicated that they do more "traditional" genetic testing associated with medical disorders, and they only test MTHFR mutations when high levels of homocysteine are involved.

I am also aware of the late, Rich Van Konynenburg's Simplified Methylation Protocol, but I would certainly want to work in conjunction with a physician, per his own recommendations on the subject.

So, any advice on actually finding appropriate resources would be extremely helpful.

Thank you very much in advance for your recommendations and advice.

Scotty81
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Hi Scotty81,
    Dr. Neil Nathan worked with Rich Van Konynenburg and they published a clinical study together. Dr. Nathan has written an very good book with a chapter on methylation a.o. I wouldn´t hesitate consulting him, but don´t know the costs for it./ Best
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Is Jim Jones alive and well on PR?

Left Coast
    I don't know anyone in your area but I found my NP, who I love, by googling Methylation and then my city. It was on her website. She also gets ME so I hit the jackpot with her.
  4. Scotty81

Scotty81

Helen,

Thanks for the reply. I had heard of him, but didn't know he had a book. I called his office and am waiting for a reply.

Regards,
    Scotty81
  5. Helen

Helen Senior Member

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Possible-Fibromyalgia-Persistent-Illnesses/dp/1591203082

I think his book is very good and he seems to be one of the doctors that work like detectives. I wish all did.
    Hope you will get a positive reply and most of all - help for your health problems. / All the best, Helen
  6. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    He had a very good teacher. :cry:
    topghetto likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.