• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you use your laptop or do handcrafts in bed?

November Girl

Does working in bed feel better to you than doing so in a recliner? Any idea why? I've thought about getting an adjustable table like this to hold a laptop or bead tray. (The top can be adjusted flat, or a laptop strapped in place.) I've come to realize I should spend more time n bed, I wouldn't be completely flat if beading, but could be online.
31y4jNGHyNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Tally

I'm using laptop in bed most of the time. I have a bed tray, not as fancy as the one in the picture, but I noticed my legs hurt more if laptop is pressing them, so it does a good job :)

Sometime, I go on a couch for a change of scenery, but even though my body is almost in the same position, I do feel like I tire less in bed.

Calathea

Laptop, yes. It's on an overbed table, and then I have a separate keyboard, so that I can use it lying down, sitting up, in whatever position I like.

Crafts - I can quilt in bed, but it's actually more comfortable on the sofa because there's better padding under my backside. I can't piece in bed, I need access to an iron and small ironing board, plus there are too many small things which could get dropped or lost. I would never bead in bed. I end up with enough beads all over the floor as it is.

November Girl

Tally, I've found the weight and heat uncomfortable as well with just the laptop. Talathea, I'd love to see photos of your quilts and beadwork! What type of beading do you do?

I did bead in bed successfully one afternoon. i think that time I just had a tray on my lap. I usually sit in the recliner with my feet up.

My husband asked yesterday if this wasn't just an excuse to do something in bed when I should be just resting. I did have to think about that. I suspect that if I were already in bed, it would be a lot easier to set things aside, and lay back and rest for awhile. When I'm sitting in the Living room, it seems like so much trouble to get up & walk to the bedroom. I often end up sitting here a couple of hours past the time I should have gone back to bed.

Calathea

Oh, I don't actually have the laptop sitting on my lap! That would be uncomfortable, unhealthy for me, and would probably result in the early demise of the laptop. As I said, it sits on an overbed table. This slides over the bed, about a foot above the mattress.

svetoslav80

I'm with a PC but I have a big monitor and have adjusted my keyboard so that I can work from bed. Yes, brainfog and headaches magically diminish when I'm flat and my thinking is more clear. I don't have explanation why, maybe scientists have one. I also dream about a job where I can be in bed lol, although I realize this will remain only a dream.

hurtingallthetimet

i dont have a laptop...but the computer chair hubby has is thankfully very comfortable and moveable and can lean back in alomst like half laying or something...and put feet up...heating pad back brace etc...

its great that we are able to conect on here and the internet for so many its the only conection to the world we have..and get info and advice and support while taking medications...being in comfy clothes...etc..

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
I have something called an "icepad" I use for my laptop in bed.
Macally ICEPAD Ice Pad - Notebook/Laptop Desk - Notebook Accessories | Icecat.biz

It can be opened up wide so you can use a mouse if you like( I do not : ) ) or put it at varying slant positions or double it flat. I use this sometimes on top of another lapdesk that has beanbags underneath for on the lap comfort or sometimes by itself. no problems ever with heat--- it does the job

I have the exact same adjustable table November girl.

It is better than having the laptop on my lap but it was less good than expected because I find it takes a lot of energy to set it up in the first place at the correct angle. If your house is bigger than my tiny flat, you can just set it up once and leave it but I can't do that because it takes up too much space. Setting it up would be nothing for a healthy person but for me it's a bit of bother and takes prescious energy.

It's also better if you can get the keyboard to be separate. It's also better for sitting or slouching in bed rather than properly lying flat.
Still it's the definitely best table I've found so far.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I have a netbook which i use in bed all the time. Even though i am able to be up and about a lot now i still spend time in bed every day - usually on the computer and then sleeping a bit. I watch films and catch up on tv on the i player and 4od. The main problem i have is the laptop over heats very easily on my lap or on the bed. If i watch a film i prop it up on books - but it still gets hot. I use a lot of pillows so that i can recline and have the laptop on my lap.

When i was more severely ill i also used to listen ot audio tapes in bed every day - which was better thn the computer and reading as its far less active. I listened to Tess of the Durbervilles by Thomas Hardy last and it was great, just laying there and letting the story wash over you.

I also should probably spend morte time in bed resting - but as i can get up and do things now i would rather be as active as possible - even if it leads to crashes and days or weeks in bed further down the line.

All the best, Justy x

allyann

i have a table like this that I use on my couch. I find i can use my laptop like this for much longer than sitting at my computer. Mine has a light on it too, so I use it to read if I'm feeling up to it.

ukxmrv

I've got several different bed tables. Getting in and out of bed to get extra materials and go to the loo is important to me so I wouldn't use the one you had a link for. To me it looks too hard to move out of the way when I want to move or if I wanted it out of the way altogether. It might be useful if I wanted to do crafts and someone else would put it into place, set it up and then be available to put it away but I don't have a carer and am alone for most of each day.

I use a variety of things in bed. A padded laptable. A folding tray (like a breakfast in bed tray) and a movable table (on wheels that can slot into place easy and move easily. It has a tray that tolts.

There are advantages and disadvantages of each one. The laptray can become too hot and too heavy for example.

Just a few ideas. We all live in different conditions and do different things.

Attachments

• laptop table.jpg
    laptop table.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 9