• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you sunburn? (making it a poll, easy to answer)

Do you sunburn?

• Total voters

BadBadBear

Do you tend to sunburn?

I do not unless I'm out on the water or somewhere super intense. I have reddish hair & light complexion. My sisters fry in the sun, I do not. I don't really tan, either.

Can our bodies get too tired to burn or to bother turning tan?

L'engle

moogle
I would love it if being tired somehow prevented sunburn. No such luck for me. My skin turns itchy and red almost on contact with bright sunlight so summer is a trial.

BadBadBear

I would love it if being tired somehow prevented sunburn. No such luck for me. My skin turns itchy and red almost on contact with bright sunlight so summer is a trial.

L'engle, do you have general issues with inflammation? I don't have issues with histamine/inflammation, my body seems pretty apathetic about everything. :)

PennyIA

I never tan. I burn and I burn quite quickly. When the burn fades? It turns into splotches of color (not attractive at all - white skin looks better than splotches).

I do have inflammation and histamine issues as well.

Worst yet? If I get too much sun, I get itchy and woozy. I have gotten migraines from spending too much time in the sun in the past and crashed after too much sun.

So, avoiding sun seems like the best thing for me, personally. I do take Vitamin D oil.

Sherezade

I am very white and pale. But before i got sick i could have hours of sun and never got tanned or burned. After all i was born in a tropical country and i spent most of my childhood in the beach. After i got sick i tan very easily, even without sun, which is an indication of adrenal insufficiency, low cortisol stimulates melanin in the skin, i think.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I have very rarely had sunburn. The last time I recall is when I fell asleep drunk on a beach in the 1970s!

I tan quite well. Dark hair, dark eyes, medium European complexion.