• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you often need to blow your nose or have nasal symptoms?

Do you often need to blow your nose or have other "nasal" symptoms?

• Yes, even before I became ill

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • Yes, although only since becoming ill

Votes: 25 56.8%
  • Only when I have an allergic reaction

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Not really / No.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I voted "only when I have an allergic reaction", but I have sensitivities and allergies to most environments, outdoor and indoor. Cold also appears to trigger many symptoms in me. So, it is frequent for me though I attribute it to allergies.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I said 'Yes, even before I became ill'. I had to abandon door-to-door sales for a charity because when the cold wind blew, my nose ran prolifically, and if I carried on it would start bleeding. I reasoned that it would not appeal to householders to open their doors to someone with blood pouring from her nose!

SOC

I suspect chronic sinus infection is a factor in my illness. I had no sinus problems before ME/CFS, although I often had sore throats and ear infections. These days, my symptom flares correspond with sinus problems. I don't know what the cause-effect relationship is between them, or even if there is one. :confused:

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have had chronic sinus issues for probably the last 3 yrs, about 8 yrs into cfs and is probably ongoing due to neutropenia. Responds well to abx but returns quickly when I stop them. I think its due to our crappy immune system so a coinfection?

Seven7

Seven
Believe it or not, I figure out that I get runny nose when I eat banana, it happens every single time. I eat banana next day, a few hours later, I have nasal allergy.

I used to get a lot of sinus infections at beginning of CFS, I had nasal surgery and never again (I had deviated septum on one side and something else in the other side).

cigana

How do I know if it's allergic?
If it's in response to something, like pollen, dust, cats, certain foods etc.
Obviously, there's no way to know for sure, as you may not know when you're being exposed to the allergen.

Andrew

Last night I was miserable with nose being irritated. Tired saline irrigation and no help. It used to work, but lately not. Morning I feel only a slight irritation. And sometimes during the day I feel just fine. Wouldn't that be allergies.

But want to hear something really weird. Last night I put on head phones to listen to something and my nose calmed down, even without anything coming through the phones. I know ears are connected to nose, but this is just too weird. And when I went to sleep, I was not sneezing all night. So I can't tell if this is stress-related, allergic, or infection.

Last night I was miserable with nose being irritated. Tired saline irrigation and no help. It used to work, but lately not. Morning I feel only a slight irritation. And sometimes during the day I feel just fine. Wouldn't that be allergies.

Maybe, I believe this thread is trying to see if M.E. patients get unexplained nasal symptoms, so maybe it was not allergic.

I believe I get random flu and cold symptoms that may not be allergic, but in some cases we cannot know. Most noticeable to me is the low grade fevers. I don't know if I get random nasal symptoms.

Seven7

Seven
It's delayed for over 24 hrs, or do you mean a few hours after eating it? Delayed reactions (over a few hours) are so hard to figure out, it is great if you did.

Typically It starts after a few hours, (the itchiness) by next day full blown runny nose, sometimes sneezing and drainage on back of throat.

Sometimes was not as obvious, the reason I figure it out was because my mom has been forbidden to eat pineapple, strawberries and bananas so I started paying attention. I get it sometimes yes sometimes no with strawberries (I never eat more than 4 or so).

rosie26

About 3-4 years before my collapse I started getting a drippy nose.
At collapse it changed to blocked, infected and dry in the nasal passages as if body temperature had increased to kill infection, also a feeling of thickness in the walls of the sinuses.
My sinuses ache when I have done too much.

I have some pretty impressive nasal polyps, so my problem is sinus infections from crud getting trapped back there, and then difficulty in getting rid of those infections.

Andrew

The irritation I get feels very specific. IOW, it is not generalized. It feels like one little spot somewhere in my sinus is irritated. I always imagine that there is a single particle of irritant causing this. But who knows.

rosie26

I've just stuffed up my vote, I should have only voted for the first, but I misread the second one and voted that one too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Since getting ill my nose just feels constantly stuffy and at times bunged up. It's hard to describe like now, my nose feels clear when I breathe but it feels blocked further back

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
My nose is much clearer since I went gluten-free and then low-grain, low-sugar. It had been getting very bad, and keeping me awake - I was having to prop my head on 4 pillows and try a range of unsuccessful pharmaceutical and natural remedies. The diet finally fixed it, along with a lot of other symptoms, and they stay fixed unless I over-exert.