1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do you often need to blow your nose or have nasal symptoms?

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by cigana, Dec 7, 2013.

?

Do you often need to blow your nose or have other "nasal" symptoms?

1. Yes, even before I became ill

17 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. Yes, although only since becoming ill

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. Only when I have an allergic reaction

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Not really / No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
  2. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I voted "only when I have an allergic reaction", but I have sensitivities and allergies to most environments, outdoor and indoor. Cold also appears to trigger many symptoms in me. So, it is frequent for me though I attribute it to allergies.
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I said 'Yes, even before I became ill'. I had to abandon door-to-door sales for a charity because when the cold wind blew, my nose ran prolifically, and if I carried on it would start bleeding. I reasoned that it would not appeal to householders to open their doors to someone with blood pouring from her nose!
  4. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    I remember the moment it started when I was 12. It was a cold that never stopped.
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I suspect chronic sinus infection is a factor in my illness. I had no sinus problems before ME/CFS, although I often had sore throats and ear infections. These days, my symptom flares correspond with sinus problems. I don't know what the cause-effect relationship is between them, or even if there is one. :confused:
    place, anne_likes_red and MeSci like this.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I have had chronic sinus issues for probably the last 3 yrs, about 8 yrs into cfs and is probably ongoing due to neutropenia. Responds well to abx but returns quickly when I stop them. I think its due to our crappy immune system so a coinfection?
    anne_likes_red likes this.
  7. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    How do I know if it's allergic?
  8. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Believe it or not, I figure out that I get runny nose when I eat banana, it happens every single time. I eat banana next day, a few hours later, I have nasal allergy.

I used to get a lot of sinus infections at beginning of CFS, I had nasal surgery and never again (I had deviated septum on one side and something else in the other side).
  9. cigana

cigana Senior Member

UK
    If it's in response to something, like pollen, dust, cats, certain foods etc.
    Obviously, there's no way to know for sure, as you may not know when you're being exposed to the allergen.
  10. SickOfSickness

US
    It's delayed for over 24 hrs, or do you mean a few hours after eating it? Delayed reactions (over a few hours) are so hard to figure out, it is great if you did.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    Last night I was miserable with nose being irritated. Tired saline irrigation and no help. It used to work, but lately not. Morning I feel only a slight irritation. And sometimes during the day I feel just fine. Wouldn't that be allergies.

But want to hear something really weird. Last night I put on head phones to listen to something and my nose calmed down, even without anything coming through the phones. I know ears are connected to nose, but this is just too weird. And when I went to sleep, I was not sneezing all night. So I can't tell if this is stress-related, allergic, or infection.
  12. SickOfSickness

US
    Good question. 5 years ago, I did not think mine were mostly allergic. I knew that antihistamines lessened the symptoms, and I did not know most of the remainder were allergic.
  13. SickOfSickness

US
    Maybe, I believe this thread is trying to see if M.E. patients get unexplained nasal symptoms, so maybe it was not allergic.

I believe I get random flu and cold symptoms that may not be allergic, but in some cases we cannot know. Most noticeable to me is the low grade fevers. I don't know if I get random nasal symptoms.
  14. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Typically It starts after a few hours, (the itchiness) by next day full blown runny nose, sometimes sneezing and drainage on back of throat.

Sometimes was not as obvious, the reason I figure it out was because my mom has been forbidden to eat pineapple, strawberries and bananas so I started paying attention. I get it sometimes yes sometimes no with strawberries (I never eat more than 4 or so).
  15. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    About 3-4 years before my collapse I started getting a drippy nose.
    At collapse it changed to blocked, infected and dry in the nasal passages as if body temperature had increased to kill infection, also a feeling of thickness in the walls of the sinuses.
    My sinuses ache when I have done too much.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I have some pretty impressive nasal polyps, so my problem is sinus infections from crud getting trapped back there, and then difficulty in getting rid of those infections.
  17. Andrew

Andrew Senior Member

Los Angeles, USA
    The irritation I get feels very specific. IOW, it is not generalized. It feels like one little spot somewhere in my sinus is irritated. I always imagine that there is a single particle of irritant causing this. But who knows.
  18. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    I've just stuffed up my vote, I should have only voted for the first, but I misread the second one and voted that one too. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  19. jules78

jules78

Uk
    Since getting ill my nose just feels constantly stuffy and at times bunged up. It's hard to describe like now, my nose feels clear when I breathe but it feels blocked further back
  20. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    My nose is much clearer since I went gluten-free and then low-grain, low-sugar. It had been getting very bad, and keeping me awake - I was having to prop my head on 4 pillows and try a range of unsuccessful pharmaceutical and natural remedies. The diet finally fixed it, along with a lot of other symptoms, and they stay fixed unless I over-exert.

See more popular forum discussions.