1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do you have ME/CFS with or without sore throat?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Tally, May 10, 2012.

?

How often do you have sore throat since you got ME/CFS?

1. Almost never

8 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Once or twice a year

6 vote(s)
    17.1%
  3. More than twice a year

21 vote(s)
    60.0%
  1. Tally

Tally Senior Member

I am curious how many people with ME/CFS have sore throat often (more than once or twice a year)?

Also, are there any theories what causes our sore throat? I have it often but all the explanations I've read of ME/CFS don't seem to explain the sore throat.
  2. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    I have never had a sore throat...even when I was first sick it has not been a symptom for me. Last time I had a sore throat was probably like 10 or 15 years ago...
  3. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Hi, Tally.

Sore throat (almost always on the right side only) has been one of my most frequent symptoms. It could come and go as quickly as an hour and vary in intensity. I could expect that with any increase in activity, a sore throat was likely to appear. From the fall of 2009, when I experience a crash that I'm still trying to recover from, until the fall of 2011, I would say that I experienced sore throat several times a week. It was generally accompanied by other fluey symptoms.

Since I started the Simplified Methylation Protocol last September, I have had few sore throats. I can't remember when I had the last one and would have to read through my medical diary to give you a more accurate account.

I, too, have wondered what causes the sore throats.
  4. hurtingallthetimet

hurtingallthetimet Senior Member

constantly have a sore throat...never goes away sometimes worse than others...lymph nodes swollen alot in throat and underarms also...and sore to touch

throat drops and sprays help some..and eating ice...or popsciles....
    ggingues likes this.
  5. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    I laughed about the options because the greatest was "more than twice a year" :) I have them very frequently, it used to be nearly constant, I know it's less now, most or all days still. I have an annoying sore throat now. IMO many of my sore throats are from allergies to pollens, dust, chemicals, other airborne. Many are from allergies to food. Those are different to the sore throats that come with swollen lymph, mild fever. I used to get that type 2-4 times a day, now average around once a day.
  6. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Almost daily. Related to sensitivities.
  7. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    I just recalled the worst sore throat I had in the last few years. I volunteered to make telephone calls for an election campaign. I called from home. I found the work stressful, mainly because some people were not happy to hear from me. After a half hour I had a sore throat, and it lasted for four or five days. I don't recall how much time I actually spent on the phone over the course of a weekend, but probably not more than two or three hours. On Monday I quit the campaign and have not volunteered since.
  8. roxie60

roxie60 Senior Member

Central Illinois, USA
    usually atribute to my nearly constant allergies and frequent sinus infections. Althought accasionally I get a sore throat just on the left side and it comes on fast aqnd may oly last an hr or up to 24 hrs. Weird but just about all symps I get seem weird.
  9. MNC

MNC Senior Member

I have sore throat all the time, 365 days a year for many years since I got ME.

Also sinuses, nose and dental pain all the time.

I wonder if it is just me after reading this. I thought it was for most people with ME.
    ggingues likes this.
  10. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    You forgot one option: always!

In my case, it's due to constant post nasal drip. In turn, post nasal drip is due to elevated levels of plasma histamine. Finally, elevated levels of plasma histamine, in my case, are due to overgrowth of Morganella morganii in my gut. This is something that I am trying to currently address with antibiotics.
    ggingues likes this.
  11. hixxy

hixxy Woof woof

Russell Island, Australia
    Interesting. Did that come up on your GI Effects test?
  12. aiden424

aiden424

I"ve had a sore throat on and off since I was sick. It was one of my first symptoms.
  13. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Yes, see attached: morganella-morganii.jpg
  14. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Almost constantly unless i am taking Immunovir, Valtrex or similar. My initial illness had a throat severely swollen and closed up. Tonsils etc inflamed.
  15. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Can you add all the time or something to that effect?

GG
  16. Athene

Athene Never give up

Italy
    Hi,
    Yes I'm another one who has sore throat all the time.
    It is mild if I remember to be taciturn, but if I talk more than about half an hour, or if I raise my voice, then it is very bad and I lose my voice for several days.
    But this is a new symptom that came on 3 years ago. Before that I had CFS for 25 years and hardly ever got a sore throat.
  17. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Throat's always a bit tender, glands under jaw are always swollen
    any time I get an infection almost always get terrible sore throat
  18. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Me, too. :) I probably had 10-20 (in other words, almost continuously) sore throats a year most of my adult life. I gave up complaining because the doctors never thought it was important. After 2 years of Valcyte, I only have a sore throat if I PEM myself, even slightly. That's still more than twice a year. :D
  19. Marlène

Marlène Senior Member

Edegem, Belgium
    I had sore throats a few years after the onset of ME, it lasted three years almost daily together with swollen lymph nodes and then they disappeared.

See more popular forum discussions.