1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do you have crimson crescents?

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by Robin, May 22, 2010.

?

Do you have crimson crescents?

1. I have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

5 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. I don't have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. I have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

4 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. I don't have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

68 vote(s)
    76.4%
  6. I don't have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

10 vote(s)
    11.2%
  1. strawberry

strawberry Guest

Yes it fits very neatly. I wonder if cats and mice with FeLV and MuLV have any similar markings in their throats.

2. awol

awol *****

Interesting question strawberry! Maybe I will ask my vet friend.

3. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    I'm not doing to my cat what I had to do to myself to see them. LOL

4. lululowry

lululowry Senior Member

Athens, Georgia
    So I have checked all members of my household now:rolleyes: and the results kinda surprise me. My husband does not have them at all, nor does my older son. My daughter definitely does :(and my youngest son might - it's a bit hard to tell with his little tonsils.

The results don't surprise me in terms of possible symptoms - my daughter has sensory and mild autistic symptoms and frequent headaches/tired/etc.

But in terms of how this might be transmitted, I would certainly have assumed my husband would have been the most likely to have crimson crescents too.:innocent1:

5. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

lulu, sorry to hear that your daughter has them too. That's worrisome in itself. I hope your family gets selected for the WPI study. I think we will learn the most from family members.

I've had two visitors this week and both indulged me in my oral exploration. Neither had crimson crescents.

6. gracenote

gracenote All shall be well . . .

Santa Rosa, CA
    I had Jehovah's Witnesses stop by this week my only visitors and am wondering now if I should have asked to check their mouths in exchange for my listening to them. Instead I just sent them away. It was a missed opportunity. Darn!

taniaaust1 likes this.
  7. mmorrison101

mmorrison101

Crimson crescents

Ha! Well, I used a small flashlight and was able to see the sides of the inside of my mouth. (The back of my throat is another proposition entirely, as I have a strong gag reflex.) I appear to have a very distinct thin red crescent on the right side, but not on the left. Now I'm going to be going around shining a flashlight into the mouths of all my housemates. (But not the cats.)

mmorrison

8. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    not normal

lol

9. creekfeet

creekfeet Sockfeet

Eastern High Sierra
    I've got them but I don't want to vote the poll til I get XMRV tested.

10. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Good plan. Not all cats are as cooperative as spindrift's!

11. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I have em. and my throat's been somewhat irritated the last few days, so I don't know if I usually have them so vividly. Feels like an immune system/allergy spree is on right now, while my normal symptoms feel more like adrenal symptoms... but who knows... gives me something else to check out when I'm bored of seeing if my pupils flutter under a bright light from adrenal fatigue (they do somewhat)

12. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

LOL at your lol

Is there anything normal about this thread?

13. HopingSince88

HopingSince88 Senior Member

Maine
    Flybro/Kim- Only 61 folks have registered their crescents on the thread...but 2700 have viewed this thread. I am picturing 2700 folks all around the world with mirrors and flashlights and tongue depressors. RLMAO

14. flybro

flybro Senior Member

pluto
    i think we shud start a group

The Crazy Crimson Crescent Hunters

15. Rainmom

Rainmom Guest

I recently saw a doctor in WA state who said those crimson crescents were associated with HHV-6

16. awol

awol *****

I think there has to be more to it than that. The number of people infected in their lifetime with HHV-6 is far far higher than the 4% who have crescents. Also the vast majority of people exposed to HHV-6 do not go on to develop ME/CFS. But Cunha identified the crescents in 80% of people who have ME/CFS. A lot of those people have chronically reactivated HHV-6, but that would be the only association. XMRV is at least as likely a culprit.

17. Nina

Nina Senior Member

Lol, gracenote, baaad mistake! Next time you'll be prepared :)

So far I checked hubby and Mum. No crescents there! I'm still stuck with my lopsided self.

18. awol

awol *****

I totally loved the image of checking the throats of Jehovah's witnesses. Hilarious!

So... 60 out of 63 so far. Very impressive.

19. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

Oh Gracenote - that me laugh so much - thanks for that.

20. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

I now have a vision of us all going round with a little torch tucked in our pockets that we will shine in the mouths of every person we meet.

Seriously though, I am not going to look in my son's mouth - I too scared to find out if he has them or not.

See more popular forum discussions.