• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you get anxious while trying a drug that's new to you?

Mor

Am I the only one who worries when taking a new drug or supplement? I'm very comfortable with what I'm used to taking, but if I get a new drug from my doctor—or even a new supplement that has some risks—I can get very anxious taking it, almost waiting for a bad reaction. It's a horrible mindset to have, because you have to move forward; you have to try new things.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Am I the only one who worries when taking a new drug or supplement? I'm very comfortable with what I'm used to taking, but if I get a new drug from my doctor—or even a new supplement that has some risks—I can get very anxious taking it, almost waiting for a bad reaction. It's a horrible mindset to have, because you have to move forward; you have to try new things.
I don't like trying new supplements, mainly because I achieve pretty good results from very disciplined pacing and am worried that I may be throwing them away by trying a new supplement. This has usually been the case (NADH, B vitamins, CoQ10 all buggered up my head and took a week or so to recover from), so I'm very half-hearted about trying anything new now. I think I'm better off to just keep living my very limited lifestyle and wait for the experts to come up with something in our ever-improving climate. I appreciate that being mild and fairly symptom-free if I behave myself influences that approach, and that if I was more severe my attitude may be very different.

helen1

I did get anxious about it but have found a way around that. I start with tiny amounts, at the most 10% of what most people might start with. Also I never try something new in late afternoon or evening as many things have caused me bad insomnia. I get very little anxiety about new supplements or medications now.

@Mor

taniaaust1

No I dont usually get anxious about this (as long as there is something else I can trial if it doesnt work out) as I do what helen does and start with only very little amounts to test it. (I usually start with only 25% of whatever a doctor has prescribed for me).