Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do you get anxious while trying a drug that's new to you?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Mor, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Mor

Mor

Am I the only one who worries when taking a new drug or supplement? I'm very comfortable with what I'm used to taking, but if I get a new drug from my doctor—or even a new supplement that has some risks—I can get very anxious taking it, almost waiting for a bad reaction. It's a horrible mindset to have, because you have to move forward; you have to try new things.

TiredSam likes this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I don't like trying new supplements, mainly because I achieve pretty good results from very disciplined pacing and am worried that I may be throwing them away by trying a new supplement. This has usually been the case (NADH, B vitamins, CoQ10 all buggered up my head and took a week or so to recover from), so I'm very half-hearted about trying anything new now. I think I'm better off to just keep living my very limited lifestyle and wait for the experts to come up with something in our ever-improving climate. I appreciate that being mild and fairly symptom-free if I behave myself influences that approach, and that if I was more severe my attitude may be very different.

3. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I did get anxious about it but have found a way around that. I start with tiny amounts, at the most 10% of what most people might start with. Also I never try something new in late afternoon or evening as many things have caused me bad insomnia. I get very little anxiety about new supplements or medications now.

@Mor

taniaaust1 likes this.
  4. taniaaust1

taniaaust1

Sth Australia
    No I dont usually get anxious about this (as long as there is something else I can trial if it doesnt work out) as I do what helen does and start with only very little amounts to test it. (I usually start with only 25% of whatever a doctor has prescribed for me).

See more popular forum discussions.