• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do we share this Fungus with AIDS ?

Hip

The mold toxin (mycotoxin) in question in the above article, namely aflatoxin, along with two other toxins (ochratoxin A and macrocyclic trichothecenes) was found to be very common in ME/CFS patients in this recent study:

Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

There is also a PR thread discussing this study here: Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS | Phoenix Rising

The study observed (see table 2) that:

Aflatoxin was found in 12% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.
Ochratoxin A was found in 83% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.
Macrocyclic trichothecenes was found in 44% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.

Mold toxins have long been linked to triggered ME/CFS, and this study seems to confirm the link. Many people have developed ME/CFS from staying in water damaged buildings in which lots of mold growth is found on the walls, etc.

Hip

Seems that ochratoxin A is found in food too, with cereals being the main dietary sources of this mycotoxin.