1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do we share this Fungus with AIDS ?

Discussion in 'Fungal Infection (Yeast, Candida)' started by Omar88, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Omar88

Omar88 Senior Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/07/130723095207.htm

A type of fungus coating much of the stored corn, wheat, rice and nuts in developing countries may be quietly worsening the AIDS epidemic, according to a paper published today in theWorld Mycotoxin Journal.

Do we have this fungus infection and does doctor test for it ?
    merylg, SickOfSickness and alex3619 like this.
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

The mold toxin (mycotoxin) in question in the above article, namely aflatoxin, along with two other toxins (ochratoxin A and macrocyclic trichothecenes) was found to be very common in ME/CFS patients in this recent study:

Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

There is also a PR thread discussing this study here: Detection of Mycotoxins in Patients with CFS | Phoenix Rising

The study observed (see table 2) that:

Aflatoxin was found in 12% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.
    Ochratoxin A was found in 83% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.
    Macrocyclic trichothecenes was found in 44% of ME/CFS but not in any healthy controls.

Mold toxins have long been linked to triggered ME/CFS, and this study seems to confirm the link. Many people have developed ME/CFS from staying in water damaged buildings in which lots of mold growth is found on the walls, etc.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    What is interesting is that as mycotoxin load goes up, so does viral load.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Seems that ochratoxin A is found in food too, with cereals being the main dietary sources of this mycotoxin.
    merylg likes this.
  5. fablepd

fablepd

Padova, Italy
    The question is: after a blood or urin examen to test it, how can these mycotoxin be defeated ?

See more popular forum discussions.