• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do probiotic supplements make it all the way down?

Do Probiotics supplements propagate in the gut?

I have been speaking to a friend about this. She says probiotic supplements are useless, and you need fibre + RS to get into that ascending colon and a cap full of probiotics hardly makes it through stomach acid to the gut.

This is from Natasha Campbell's book as well:

"These important foods provide probiotic bacteria in the best possible form. Supplements of probiotics settle in the upper parts of the digestive tract and generally do not make it all the way down to the bowel. Fermented foods will carry probiotic bacteria all the way down to the end of the digestive system. Fermentation predigests the food, making it easy for our digestive systems to handle, that is why fermented dairy products are usually easily digested by autistic children and other people with a damaged gut. Fermentation releases nutrients from the foods, making them more bio-available for the body."

From here

So is there any research that shows Probiotic supplements (soil based ones) like PA do make it all the way down?

Bansaw

Some are time-release coated (eg: here). Some strains are hardy (like Sac B). Stomach acid might kill of many bacteria but some do make it through. Maybe you should take the probiotic pill, then enough water to flush the stomach.

snowathlete

Depends on the probiotic and a lot of other factors, some of them individual.
In my experience, taking a quality and potent probiotic it does make it down, and if suited it will populate the gut.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I don't know the answer either but I have been taking probiotics.
I get quite a reaction when taking them so something is happening. They are interacting with my system somehow if I'm getting a reaction I would think.