May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do more people recover from chronic fatigue syndrome with CBT or GET than with other treatments?

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Hutan, slysaint, Cheshire and 5 others like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Doesn't look like it was sent out for peer review

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

We seem to live in a world full of people digging holes for themselves. What is perhaps more surprising is to see who is passing them a fresh spade.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    I'm surprised it's not open access.

But the argument seems to be "our results are consistent with other results therefore our methodology must have been right", completing ignoring the fact that their methodology was screamingly and demonstrably wrong.

So if a faulty methodology produces similar results to other studies, it suggests that something was wrong with those other studies too.

Except in PACEland, apparently.

5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    What do you mean? Surely the journal is obliged to provide them with a platform for a response?

Cheesus and Luther Blissett like this.
  6. trishrhymes

trishrhymes trishrhymes.wordpress.com

Dorset
    So what they are basically saying is, we made sure we changed the criteria for recovery so our results would be in line with previous research - which was all small studies, mostly done by us, and using equally invalid measures...

So that's all right then...

In fact what they are admitting, though they may not be bright enough to realise it, is that there was no point doing the PACE trial, since the sole aim was to fiddle the data to fit previous results.

They show a breathtaking lack of understanding of scientific method.

:rolleyes::cry::vomit::bang-head:

Luther Blissett, Sea, MEMum and 15 others like this.
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Bizarre argument I haven't seen trotted out before. No one claimed that baseline expectations influenced self-reported outcomes at 12 months but that the CBT/GET which consists of altering patient beliefs and expectations over months and months of "treatment" influenced how they rated their symptoms at the end of the study.

MEMum, Luther Blissett, Sea and 11 others like this.
  8. AndyPR

AndyPR I'm a DAD, I Donate, Advocate and Demonstrate

Hampshire, UK
  9. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

That the results are consistent with SOME of the rest of the literature doesn't mean that they are correct. The typical CBT/GET trial suffers from bad methodology in the form of lack of blinding, subjective primary outcomes and an inadequate control intervention just to name the most obvious problem.

A useful analogy here is that throwing a loaded dice over and over again will give nicely consistent but biased results.

Wilshica et. al. are telling them the dice is loaded. They respond by saying that the results are nicely consistent.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Luther Blissett, Sea, MEMum and 13 others like this.
  10. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I think this is a lie. They didn't mention recovery in there statistical analysis plan. They refer to their paper which is a post-hoc evaluation and not a detailed analysis plan.

If it is meaningful to recover at an sf36-pf of 60 I would challenge them to give an example set of answers that they think are recovered.

Luther Blissett, MEMum, hixxy and 5 others like this.
  11. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I notice they have not responded to the issue that the sf36 distribution is wrong for using the mean and SD

I think their data may support occasional recovery or remission is possible because I seem to remember one or two patients who did seem to have good walking distances - but this was at random (SMC group if I remember).

They don't seem to have tackled the objective vs subjective issues either.

An interesting insight into their reasoning processes. There is no right answer but their are definitely wrong answers, given there is set of possible reasonable definitions of recovery (right answers) their definition falls well outside of that.

MEMum, Luther Blissett, Jan and 5 others like this.
  12. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

As usual their response fails to address the main issues with their recovery paper but this is to be expected. The response is very very weak which suggests they must know that there paper is undefendable - yet they still defend it. They should simply have issued an apology and withdrawn their recovery paper - it is so obviously wrong that even a casual glance says it is dodgy.

There response really does say that they don't understand basic principles of running a trial and this should be enough to block them from getting any new research money. Unfortunately it won't.

Luther Blissett, MEMum, Jan and 5 others like this.
  13. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

They do provide a better explanation here about their fudging the Oxford definition that in their recovery paper. Since it is obvious in the data they had to release maybe they no longer care. But the figures provided for those no longer meeting the Oxford criteria in the recovery paper included a number of patients who met the criteria as judged by a doctor by simply no longer met the trial entry criteria.

At the time they published their paper some of their supporters were justifying their results as patients no longer had ME according to the oxford definition but that was untrue.

Luther Blissett and trishrhymes like this.
  14. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

I wondered if that was refering to the virology blog post with the detailed reanalysis? They do include it in the references. I think the analysis holds water as they have failed to manage to give any sensible criticisms of it.

15. suseq

suseq

London (UK)
    Well said Professor Edwards. The wilful delusion continues - shame on them. I'm so thankful for the efforts of everyone who continues to call out this nonsense.

16. trishrhymes

trishrhymes trishrhymes.wordpress.com

Dorset
    Since PACE was a study of people with at least 6 months fatigue, not a study of CFS or ME, the results are irrelevant, except in so far as they proved that their 'therapies' don't even work for this much wider group.

And, of course at long term follow up it proved to be a null trial, even by their own definitions.

17. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

By their definition it wasn't a null trial because by their definition CBT and GET worked they just need to manipulate the figures to show it. Of course if you start with a defined outcome there is no point in doing a trial.

Luther Blissett, ukxmrv and Valentijn like this.
  18. dyfalbarhau

dyfalbarhau

I think they mean, "getting the last word". Is that why we produce papers these days? Is it truly necessary to provide an alternative view every time someone uses your work for further analysis? It smacks of something other than comradely scientific discourse given the regularity with which it occurs from this particular group.

Luther Blissett, Jan, PennyIA and 4 others like this.
  19. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

WTF? So a study which used criteria closer to the Matthees analysis had similar results to White's analysis, and this somehow supports the validity of White's criteria?

The more obvious interpretation is that exciting early findings in small cheap trials were undermined by the null results from PACE.

Then they move on to the Flo study which used the same [similar] BS criteria as PACE... how can they think that this is helping to justify their criteria changes? It's just noise.

MEMum, Luther Blissett, Jan and 9 others like this.
  20. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

'Great work' to everyone involved in the Wilshire paper.... White at al. clearly had nothing of substance that they could pick up on.

I'm surprised that they said that. They must have known that it was not true.

See more popular forum discussions.