• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do ME/CFS and FM patients have a sharpe tongue?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I certainly think I have developed a sharper tongue since getting ME/CFS. Although I think I am getting better at using it more judiciously. I think my sharp tongue arises mainly out of my irritability symptoms. Irritability is a one of the CCC listed symptoms of ME/CFS.

In my case, before I taking medication for it, my irritability was so severe, that my tongue would become razor sharp on some days, shooting critical words in all directions, and firing off caustic comments at the slightest provocation! Ask the people I live with! However, since I started taking very low dose amisulpride a few years ago (see this thread and this thread), which is an atypical antipsychotic, it really helped calm down my irritability and propensity to be annoyed at anything that moved. If I stop taking it, wow, I soon turn back into a vitriolic monster!

Irritability is a major problem in autism, and atypical antipsychotics are used in autism to treat irritability, so that probably explains why they worked well for my ME/CFS irritability.

If there is a high prevalence of 'sharp tongue' in ME, it might be interesting to carry out a test on the persons in question to see where they are on the autism spectrum. There seems to be a relatively high prevalence of Asperger's amongst ME sufferers, which is perhaps especially surprising given that the majority of ME sufferers are female, yet most people diagnosed with Asperger's are male. That may be due to a tendency to miss Asperger's in females, as female traits can mask it, and doctors tend not to suspect it in females (as with heart disease) due to a perception that it is rare in them.

People on the autistic spectrum don't mince their words - they speak literally. It has been said that 'people know where they are' with me, which is probably because I am borderline Aspie. I have to think quite hard sometimes to be diplomatic! If I am stressed, it is often hard to think at all, and susceptibility to stress is also high in ME.

SOC

There seems to be a relatively high prevalence of Asperger's amongst ME sufferers,...
Are there any studies that support this claim, or is it just an observation based on seeing Aspies on ME/CFS forums? If it just an observation, I think we need to consider that Aspies do tend to congregate in online forums where difficulties in face-to-face communication -- such as poor understanding of body language, facial expression, and tones of voice -- have less impact. The correlation may be to online forums rather than to ME. Or not. :D

Forbin

"This article could win the Pillsbury Bore-off."​

d89f0-mr-carlin.jpg

[No offense to anyone on this thread. I just could not resist quoting the sharp-tongued Mr. Carlin from The Bob Newhart Show. :)]​

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Are there any studies that support this claim, or is it just an observation based on seeing Aspies on ME/CFS forums? If it just an observation, I think we need to consider that Aspies do tend to congregate in online forums where difficulties in face-to-face communication -- such as poor understanding of body language, facial expression, and tones of voice -- have less impact. The correlation may be to online forums rather than to ME. Or not. :D

That is possible. But I have also noticed a number of commonalities between autism/Asperger's and at least some kinds of ME, for example gut problems, acidosis, intolerance of stress and excessive stimuli, even some muscle phenomena like tiptoe-walking. There have been a few threads on autism/Asperger's but I can't remember much detail.

I haven't read the article and I'm not going to; I don't want to give the website extra traffic or cause myself grief by reading it. But the title of the blog suggests a case of singling-out and targeting a specific patient population with ignorant abuse.

We have a wide range of personalities on the forum, and I've met a wide range of people with ME/CFS. The patients and carers I associate with on this forum, on social media, and who I've spoken to and met are the most wonderful people I've ever known. Every day I'm moved by the quality of the community that I'm part if. Only today, I was thinking that I'd really like to tell everyone what a wonderful bunch you all are, and what warm feelings of gratitude, friendship and community I have towards you all.

Simply associating with people on the forum lifts my life, and strengthens me beyond what I could ever have imagined was possible living with such a dreadful illness. Without you all, I'm sure I'd be in a constant state of isolation, despair and bewilderment. The vast majority in the community are exceptionally caring, and empathetic and passionate. Every day I witness these qualities on the forum; I see the very best of human nature.

Sure, we all have moments where we get cranky and short tempered, and we do get the occasional person on the forum who we consider to be disruptive, or who we don't see eye to eye with, but that's perfectly normal in any walk of life.
Bob, Such a warm and encouraging post. Thanks and God Bless. Anna