• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do Ice Baths Have Benefits? (answer: probably not)

sb4

Would you allow it to get to shivering & teeth chattering? Just need to check
Oh yeah dude. I think I pushed too hard at the start and it was hell, would be shivering all day after morning sesh. It takes time but it gets easier. I noticed a big increase in tolerance when using light before / after (reptile lights and vielight IR) and there is a theory (dr kruse) to back this up.

Artstu

I'm on a water meter so had to consider the massive increase in water consumption, although you can apply for some sort of concession if you have a medical condition that means you need to use more water than normal.

Still don't fancy it even though I know it would improve my health a little.

sb4

The only reason I stopped was because it made my dry mouth wayyy worse. I am sure dry mouth is caused by my POTS (antibodies?). Anyone with pots doing this?

trishrhymes

I tried coldish baths years ago when my ME was relatively mild. Did it daily for a couple of weeks. Felt I had more energy, and probably was a bit more active as a result. Crashed badly, several weeks off work. Gave up.

Last edited:

Artstu

A bit off subject, for me an exercise bike in a freezer would probably be best, hmm wonder if the local freezer place will help me out. ....

Kenny Banya

The only reason I stopped was because it made my dry mouth wayyy worse. I am sure dry mouth is caused by my POTS (antibodies?). Anyone with pots doing this?
I have POTS. I started this yesterday & did it again today.
My heart rate when shivering/chattering today was about 50% above normal resting rate.

sb4

I have POTS. I started this yesterday & did it again today.
My heart rate when shivering/chattering today was about 50% above normal resting rate.
It activates the sympathetic system so if your pots is caused by over active parasympathetic then it should be very good, if overactive sympathetic then be cautious.

Tammy

Dry mouth, dry eyes, dryness in general can be a sign that your adrenals need help............so maybe your adrenals were being taxed too much from this process.

anne_likes_red

I'd be wary of shivering. Shivering generates heat by involuntarily using your muscles, and is just as likely to crash someone as voluntary muscle use.
Yes absolutely! Any pwme considering cold exposure needs to be relatively fit and high functioning, or disciplined in approaching cold temperatures (applied to a big surface area) very carefully. Crashing from cold exposure is a very real thing. Used to happen to me every Winter when the weather first turned cold.
I haven't had a big muscle shiver in a long time - non shivering thermogenesis is a result of cold adaptation - but in my first encounters with cold I did shiver and recovery was difficult. IMO it's dangerous to shiver in the shower....my thigh muscles shivered so much I couldn't keep my balance. (Baths are much easier in my experience.)

Kenny Banya

It activates the sympathetic system so if your pots is caused by over active parasympathetic then it should be very good, if overactive sympathetic then be cautious.
IIRC, POTS is caused by incorrect signals from the brain to the heart. Therefore, it's always sympathetic, no?

Kenny Banya

Dry mouth, dry eyes, dryness in general can be a sign that your adrenals need help............so maybe your adrenals were being taxed too much from this process.
I'll have to pay attention to the increased amount of dry/cracked lips I've been getting in the last few weeks.
I lean towards it being linked to the eczema I have had since I was a baby, as the eczema has made a comeback/flare up in the last few months.

sb4

Hmmm... could you explain more please. I would assume it would more likely be POTS antibodies.

sb4

IIRC, POTS is caused by incorrect signals from the brain to the heart. Therefore, it's always sympathetic, no?
I don't think this is the case. Antibodies have been found on both adrenergic and muscarinic receptors. Depends which type of pots you get.