• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do I need to treat CPn before virals?

Hotch

Hotch
Hi All,

I have EBV, HHV6 and Clamydia Pneumonia on the bacteria/ virus scope. I am about to begin Valtrex for EBV. I have read that you should treat the bacterias before the viruses when going to use Valcyte. Do you also need to do that before Valtrex? I ask because I don't remember ever having pneumonia. I have always had a strong chest. I therefore am hoping it hasn't had much of an impact on my CFS so don't feel led to go down the path of antibiotics at this stage. However I did have 3 relapses of EBV in the 3 years prior to CFS hitting me (31yr duration now). Would appreciate all you experienced and knowledgable fellow sufferers thoughts.

Thanks & Cheers, HOTCH

Invisible Woman

I am no expert here and don't know if this is the answer you're looking for but:

I have read that some folk (especially HIV patients) who are treated with antivirals can suffer from something called IRIS: Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome.

There are a couple of different types of IRIS but I believe one is caused be the patient's immune system recovering and then starting to attack any infection that has been kicking around their systems. Depending on the patient and the infection this can, in some cases, be quite serious. Treating any other underlying infections before starting antivirals may be a way to reduce the risk and/or severity of IRIS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_reconstitution_inflammatory_syndrome

http://www.hivguidelines.org/clinic...atory-syndrome-iris-in-hiv-infected-patients/

Hope this helps. Good luck with it.

Hotch

Hotch
Thank you invisible Woman! That is very helpful. My first line of treatment at the moment is candida. The dr said it was rare to see such an incredibly high level. Candida is on the list of opi's for IRIS on one of the links you provided. I might hold off on the antiviral for a bit and think about treatment for CPn. Most valuable info.

Much appreciated. Hope you are having a good day.