• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do I have to authorize docs to get my own records?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm trying to get a copy of some labs and the docs office said i had to sign a release to get a copy of my own lab results.

I don't think I've ever done that before and I"m wondering if they know what they are talking about.

Thanks

Now they tell me they won't get me a copy of the labs until the doctor has discussed them with me (apparently there is a lot to go over (immunologist) which makes it even more important for me to have them so I can look at the them while she goes over them.

Dumb.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
Yes, some make you sign a open release every year when you update your info, some you have to do it every time unless they are in the same Chain, then is ok they will access it.

I have my online so I can print to PDF and I can send myself wherever I want. My Dr office has a register online and you can access your own records (Carilion)

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
This office has no online system so there is no way. I never had to sign a release to get my own labs. They will send them to me, but not until the doctor has gone over them.

I want to have a copy to refer to as she goes over stuff so I can make notes and now what she is talking about. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Yes, it's normal in the US to have to sign a release to get your records. Once the release is signed, there should usually be no problem with sending you a copy.

However, some docs do prefer to go over your results with you, especially if there is something abnormal and they think 1) patients tend to panic when they think it's pretty normal and you shouldn't worry or 2) it is acutally a cause for concern and they don't want you looking at it without a doctor around to tell you what they can do for you

Can you phone the office and ask if you will get a copy in hand to refer to at the time you go in (as opposed to only getting a copy afterwords)?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I believe I said in my posts that I asked and they said no. It's idiotic on their part to want to go over labs without me having a copy to refer to and make notes on.

She is clueless about ME/CFS and ran labs on my insistence. I think it's ego vs. me worrying. Hell if they didn't want me to worry then why tell me "Oh the doctor has a lot to go over with you" vs "The doc'll call you Monday because we got your labs back".

They're the ones that said stuff to freak me out. I"m not impressed with that office al all.

Last edited: