• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do Hydroxocobalamin lozenges work?

I think methylcobalamin may be giving me bad headaches, and apparently due to my vdr tag etc i tolerate hydroxo and aden better then methyl.

I've noticed on freddds protocol that he say hydroxocobalamin doesnt work orally? has anyone else had luck with them?

Eastman

The following study suggests that hydroxocobalamin should generally be similar to methylcobalamin but there could be individual variability.

Comparative Bioavailability and Utilization of Particular Forms of B12 Supplements With Potential to Mitigate B12-related Genetic Polymorphisms
Conclusions
Supplementing with any of the nature bioidentical forms of B12 (MeCbl, OHCbl, and/or AdCbl) is preferred instead of the use of CNCbl, owing to their superior bioavailability and safety. For the majority of the population, all B12 forms may likely have similar bioavailabilities and physiological effects; thus, it makes sense to employ the least-expensive form of B12, such as MeCbl. Individuals with particular single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) affecting B12 assimilation may raise their B12 status more efficiently with 1 or more particular forms of vitamin B12. However, because those types of SNPs are not currently reported in commercial tests, individuals may require either a trial-and-error approach by supplementing with 1 particular form of B12 at a time, or they might simply use a supplement with a combination of all 3 naturally occurring forms of B12 that are commercially available for a better chance of achieving faster clinical results. That approach may or may not offset genetic polymorphisms involving B12 metabolism and related pathways.

datadragon

Advanced Orthomolecular Research AOR Hydroxyl B 12 Lozenges, 60 Count

This is the hydroxocobalamin that I was recommended and used which has worked very well for me ongoing. It is oral sublingual and well absorbed.

Busson

I've noticed on freddds protocol that he say hydroxocobalamin doesnt work orally? has anyone else had luck with them?

I tried sublingual hydroxoB12 (Swanson) and got a good response but I didn't stick with it for long because I switched to adenoB12 and methylB12 to allow me to adjust each one independently.

Gingergrrl

I take “Seeking Health” sublingual Hydroxo B-12/ Folinic Acid (b/c I do not tolerate the Methyl versions) and it works well for me.

Gingergrrl

What symptoms do you get from the Methyl versions?

Severe overmethylation reaction and no matter how low the dose, I cannot tolerate the Methyl versions. The reaction included facial flushing, tachycardia in the 150’s or higher, agitation, insomnia, etc, and felt like a shot of Epinephrine straight to your heart. Versus I tolerate the (non-Methyl) Hydroxo B-12/Folinic Acid with no problem.