• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do GPs test amino acids?

One that's willing to test amino acids in a ME patient is a good one indeed. Some docs aren't good or understanding, but they don't mind ordering simple blood or urine tests.

I found this on a lab's site:
"Common indications for urine amino acid testing include clinical situations such as: 1) acute life-threatening episode, 2) failure to thrive, 3) recurrent vomiting, 4) neurological deterioration, 5) hyperammonemia, 6) lethargy, 7) metabolic acidosis, 8) testing or following therapy for a specific inborn error of metabolism (PKU, MSUD, tyrosinemia, etc.), and 9) kidney stones. Listing of clinical information is particularly important for appropriate interpretation."

If asking a doc I would be prepared with reasons. Point out that "lethargy" is a reason? Better if you had one of those other reasons like kidney stones would make it simple to convince the doc.

Gavman

I want medicare to pay for it. Their other tests haven't showed up jack. :p
Good thinking SoS, will try.

hixxy

Medicare won't pay for it. I even asked my doctor about amino acid analysis on Monday. The number of things medicare will pay for is gradually shrinking. You can't get much of anything useful via medicare anymore.

Things I've noticed you can't have done recently:

Vit D (you must have been diagnosed osteoporosis -- apparently Vit D only affects the bones!)
T3 or T4 (you must been on thyroid replacement or have abnormal TSH)
Sex hormones (this is iffy, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't)

Googsta

Doing Well
Vitamin D are you kidding!!!! We are in the middle of an epidemic here, everyone I know of who has been tested is very deficient & many of them get plenty of sun exposure.

I had my husband & I tested but I had to twist the docs arm, I thought it was just my hopeless doctor. I guess the hospitals are going to be even further inundated with broken bones, infections etc in the future o_O

Good luck Gavman, let us know if it works!

acer2000

I know this thread is 4 years old, but Medicare does pay for amino acid tests. My Dr has done them on me through Labcorp on plasma, urine, and CSF. The trouble is finding someone to interpret them. But they can be done.