1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

"Do doctors understand test results" - layperson's article explaining relative vs absolute risks etc

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Dolphin, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    If I shower at least 3 times a week
    Well then
    Why am I not "conditioned" to take a simple shower?

No such thing as conditioned in my vocabulary..........
    Valentijn likes this.
  2. Tired of being sick

Tired of being sick Senior Member

Western PA USA
    [A]ll they can say is NO!

You'd get a larger vocabulary out of a Gawddamned parrot.......
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2014
  3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    Thanks, @anciendaze - that is interesting and useful, and I have saved the info.
    rosie26 likes this.
  4. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    or maybe a phobia acquired after seeing the film 'Psycho'! :lol:
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

This stuff is even more problematic with the prejudices and quackery around CFS:

golden likes this.
  6. MeSci

Cornwall, UK
    Of course there is a fundamental problem in that, if someone is seeking treatment, s/he has an illness. Being ill can seriously impair one's ability to think. It's hard enough to remember to tell doctors everything and remember what they said without also having to tread on eggshells trying to get them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.

Vaguely on-topic, there was a BBC Radio 4 programme last night which included an item on recording appointments with doctors. You can listen to it here. Sorry but I can't recall where that item came in the programme. I do, however, recall shouting at the radio that I would prefer to have the info ON PAPER (that's me shouting! :D).

In most professional practices this is what customers get. Why are health services so primitive by comparison?

Even if it might not be possible for a doc to personally record his/her info for patients in writing/print, there is software which can transcribe speech, and the doc could just have a look through the transcript to check for errors before giving it to the patient.

I'm sure it would save money in the long term, as patients would make fewer mistakes with their medicines and appointments and wouldn't have to do what I often do, which is to phone the doc after the appointment for clarification on things.
    rosie26, NK17 and Valentijn like this.
  7. anciendaze

anciendaze Senior Member

At least you are able to stand up and shower. I was reduced to sit-down baths years ago.

I suspect we are dealing with two distinct meanings of "conditioned" one used in exercise physiology, and quite a different one in behaviorist psychology. When people pull linguistic bait-and-switch, it is always appropriate to be cautious about buying what they are selling.
    rosie26, NK17, SOC and 1 other person like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think @SOC and I had a similar discussion here some time ago, but looking at breathing rate. If you are breathing heavily, even if you are not doing much, its a problem.

People with ME have elevated lactic acid, and possibly carbonic acid as well. Both these can drive heart rate and increased breathing I suspect. The body is attempting to increase oxygen and carbon dioxide exchange in the blood. Sadly this does not translate to our muscles for some reason, as muscle lactate remains persistently high for some time.
    rosie26 and NK17 like this.
  9. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    I only have breathing problems when I'm upright. (Eyes rolling) :/

Seriously tho, how much of this is due to OI ?
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014

See more popular forum discussions.