Phoenix Rising supports the Millions Missing global day of protest
Phoenix Rising is delighted to support the demands being made in the ME/CFS community’s first-ever global day of protest …
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do changes in illness perceptions, physical activity, and behavioural regulation influence ...

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by A.B., Feb 25, 2017.

1. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Do changes in illness perceptions, physical activity, and behavioural regulation influence fatigue severity and health-related outcomes in CFS patients?

http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(17)30143-5/abstract

Valentijn, Invisible Woman and Woolie like this.
  2. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Cannot access the full article, but:-
    So that boots GET into touch then.
    Not "cause" but "contribute to". Secondary not primary. So what point is being made ... other than no point at all?

Snow Leopard and Valentijn like this.
  3. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    No more, I imagine, than they might "influence fatigue severity and health-related outcomes" in any other physically ill patients.

4. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Seems to be the same old "we're going to cherry pick correlations and interpret them causatively without considering ordinary explanations such as belief to be ill being merely the consequence of actually being ill".

PS: so I suspect this is bad misuse of statistics.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    ahmo, Solstice, Wolfiness and 2 others like this.
  5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Also I suspect the "all or nothing" group includes presumably individuals that are not pacing. Since their model requires deconditioning, they need to find some way to explain why people who may be (trying to be) more active can still be quite ill.

Hutan and Barry53 like this.
  6. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    And taking myself as an example (bearing in mind I am not the one with ME, and am in fairly good health), if for whatever reason it has been a really cr*p day, the weather has been dull/raining/miserable for days, the taxman has just cocked up my tax code yet again, etc, etc ... I will tend to feel a bit lethargic, not very energetic. Such things do influence a person, but that is way different to conflating that with being a cause! These folks do so love trying to make the innocently uninformed misinterpret influence as meaning cause. Or even if that is not what this paper is itself doing (only seen the outline), nonetheless providing grist for the BPS mill to do so generally.

7. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

This probably ties into the Wiborg review (2010), where they revealed that reported improvements in fatigue were not matched by increased activity measured by actometer. Their absurd spin on that was that activity levels aren't relevant because they don't match up with fatigue results, since fatigue must be the most relevant measurement.

It's blatant quackery, in other words, and borderline academic fraud.

Snow Leopard, Solstice, Sean and 4 others like this.
  8. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

TiredSam, Art Vandelay and Barry53 like this.
  9. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Prostitution of principles?

10. antherder

antherder a.k.a. Princess Dauer, Nematode Nation

Yeah, that sounds about right. They have sold their souls to the God of Psychobabble, haven't they.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  11. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Barry53 likes this.
  12. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    An improvement, but still way off the mark. "Make ME patients exercise and they get a lot worse" would be more accurate.

Barry53 likes this.
  13. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Actually it should be: our treatment is a placebo and our outcomes reflect that.

Valentijn and Snow Leopard like this.

See more popular forum discussions.