1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Phoenix Rising Adds Two New Board Members
Mark Berry introduces the new President of Phoenix Rising, Dr. Gary Solomon, and welcomes Professor Jonathan Edwards to the Phoenix Rising Board of Directors.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DNA Disruptors: Our Genetic Future

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, Feb 25, 2013.

  1. Waverunner

    Waverunner Senior Member

    Messages:
    999
    Likes:
    853
    Randomized clinical trials are based on probability. A drug, which works for 30% of the population, can be useless or even harmful in the remaining 70%. There has to be a better way. Here is a very interesting discussion from Forbes.

    Discussants: George Church, Stephen Bonner, Howard Jacob and Jonathan Rothberg.



     
  2. Helen

    Helen Senior Member

    Messages:
    528
    Likes:
    514
    Thanks Waverunner for posting this very interesting discussion.

    Helen
     
  3. Waverunner

    Waverunner Senior Member

    Messages:
    999
    Likes:
    853
    You're welcome. Jonathan Rothberg said, that full genome sequencing will become available for around 1000 dollars at the end of 2013. We'll see if he is right. This could be the first step to solve a whole bunch of diseases including autism and CFS.
     
  4. Helen

    Helen Senior Member

    Messages:
    528
    Likes:
    514
    I have heard about that cost from other specialists too. I agree that genome studies of ME/CFS will be very helpful to us. And also for an acceptance of the disease among all doctors and laymen as there are many signs of a genetic base.
    Nielk told in a thread about the ongoing trial at Mt Sinai Hospital that their genomes will be sequenced. Hopefully the 40 genomes will be sufficient to find what we have in common.
     
  5. Waverunner

    Waverunner Senior Member

    Messages:
    999
    Likes:
    853
    Yes, it would be a great thing to compare genomes of PWCs. As soon as many of us can afford it, we as patients can become active in advancing the understanding and solving this disease. If scientists would find a common trait in CFS, this would highly boost research in this area. In addition to this, genome sequencing enables us to sequence viruses and bacteria, so treatment options for these infections could become much more safe and effective.
     
  6. Helen

    Helen Senior Member

    Messages:
    528
    Likes:
    514
    Did you read about Eric Schadt at Mt Sinai Hospital? There are some good videos too if you haven´t seen them. I have a great trust in him to make the most of the genetic information.
     
  7. Nielk

    Nielk

    Messages:
    5,272
    Likes:
    5,267
    Queens, NY

    I just participated last week in the Enlander Mt. Sinai study in New York. They are doing a full genome sequencing for each patient.
     
    Little Bluestem and ukxmrv like this.
  8. Waverunner

    Waverunner Senior Member

    Messages:
    999
    Likes:
    853
    No, I haven't seen them but I will watch them. Thanks for the info.

    Nielk: That sounds great. Do you know how many participants this study has and if they compare the genomes? Can you let us know, if they find anything?
     
  9. Nielk

    Nielk

    Messages:
    5,272
    Likes:
    5,267
    Queens, NY
    They are looking for 150 ME/CFS patients and 150 controls. They are doing the genome sequencing for all 300 patients to look at what is distinguishing in the ME/CFS group.
     
  10. Nielk

    Nielk

    Messages:
    5,272
    Likes:
    5,267
    Queens, NY
    Here is information about the ongoing study. The exciting part about this study for participants is that we are promised to ultimately receive our personal results when completed.


     
    ukxmrv and Waverunner like this.
  11. Waverunner

    Waverunner Senior Member

    Messages:
    999
    Likes:
    853
    Very nice. What makes me happy about the study is the fact, that you have 300 participants. 300 is a lot better, than the 15 or 25 participants they had in most other CFS studies. Church said, that they are happy about every genome, they can get. I really hope, that they find something. This could be the start of something big.
     
    Nielk likes this.
  12. Helen

    Helen Senior Member

    Messages:
    528
    Likes:
    514
    I agree. 150 genomes from people with ME/CFS is really good. Thank you Nielk again for doing this for all the rest of us.
     
    Nielk likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.

Share This Page