• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DMPS Chelation - side effects

Banana94

Did somebody had some serious side effects due to heavy metal chelation by IV DMPS/DMSA?

Think about to do it but Im afraid of the possible rare side effects...

Johnmac

So far as I'm concerned intravenous DMPS is extremely dangerous. I'd highly recommend you avoid it.

If you need any incentive for this, you could have a look at the dmpsbackfire website if you can find it. (Not sure if it's still there - but when it was, it was filled with people's stories of lasting damage from IV DMPS.)

I have often used oral DMPS as part of the Cutler protocol. It's not as effective a chelator as ALA (which chelates the brain), but is an effectual adjunct to ALA, and appears to be pretty safe if you start low dose & work up carefully.

Did somebody had some serious side effects due to heavy metal chelation by IV DMPS/DMSA?

Think about to do it but Im afraid of the possible rare side effects...

Wayne

So far as I'm concerned intravenous DMPS is extremely dangerous. I'd highly recommend you avoid it. ...... If you need any incentive for this, you could have a look at the dmpsbackfire website if you can find it.

@Johnmac, I agree with your assessment. Below is a link to the website you referenced, and below the link, part of the introduction. This is the sort of thing that should remind us that just because a health practitioner recommends something does not mean it's safe or approved.

DMPSBACKFIRE.com

My name is Jana. I am not a doctor or scientist. I am a patient whose life was derailed by a single injection of DMPS. Since then, I have tried to learn everything I can about this drug and its effects on the physiology of the human body. There is surprisingly little reliable information available on this subject.

What I have learned is that DMPS is not approved by the FDA. It is considered an experimental drug. I have found no evidence of the existence of appropriate clinical trials by which practitioners can be guided in its safe use.

The discovery that was most disturbing to me was that some physicians and others were misleading (either through ignorance or contrivance) patients about the safety and efficacy of this drug. I am alarmed at the proliferation of health care providers who are enrolling patients in what amounts to experimental medicine without obtaining their informed consent. Unless patients know that there are potentially serious side effects to this drug, no informed consent can be given, and the patient becomes nothing more than a lab rat.