1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DIY pulse oximeter?

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Sherlock, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Has anybody bought a pulse ox to track themselves and found it useful? Is there any way to DIY without a machine, other than pinching your finger at the nail and observing the color changes? Thanks.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    My fingers don't have circulatory problems. Do those things still work if you stick them on an ear or something?
  3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I borrowed one to see what was going on when I was sleeping. I wake up often with pounding heartbeats.

The pulse oximeter showed that my oxygen drops quite low a few times a night. The problem is intermittent. Some nights I have the problem, some nights I don't. I did a sleep study and it didn't catch any apnea.

I think I have the problem narrowed down to a sort of central sleep apnea which is influenced by nutrients, probably B12. I've noticed on the days I eat beef, I don't have the pounding heartbeats in my sleep. If I eat chicken or pork, I do.

So for now, until I can get my methylation supps worked out, I'm eating beef 3-4 times a day. I forgot about retesting with the meter to see if that shows better too.
    Sherlock likes this.
  4. Sherlock

Sherlock bicarb for exercise recovery and taming candida

US
    Hi, that's good thinking. I see this: [​IMG]

http://www.mediaidinc.com/SensorReusable.html

Even so, that doesn't answer your question. But this seems to (from ebay, of all places):
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Pulse-Oximeter-FACTS-Guide?ugid=10000000001217352

See more popular forum discussions.