• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DIY Fecal Transplant...would you try it?

jaybee00

Perhaps FMT might make more sense after treatment with meds (e.g. rituximab or cyclo, etc.). In this way perhaps your (auto) antibodies would be under control and the transplant might last.... Otherwise might be repeating the transplant every couple of months....

adreno

PR activist
Perhaps FMT might make more sense after treatment with meds (e.g. rituximab or cyclo, etc.). In this way perhaps your (auto) antibodies would be under control and the transplant might last.... Otherwise might be repeating the transplant every couple of months....
The thing is, what perpetuates the immune response? It could easily be gut dysbiosis.

MaximilianKohler

Yeah, there is huge interplay between the gut microbiome & the immune system. Bacteriophages essentially act like antibiotics. If you have a quality donor you shouldn't need to worry about taking something like rituximab. FMT does often require weeks/months of treatments though.

It depends how ill you are, if you are barely functioning then trying a potentially life saving is worth the risk. Im lining up an inpatient FMT for CFS for next year. The risk profile is low with an appropriately screened donor. Correct screening processes are readily available for people wanting to DIY.

There are quite a few studies coming out pointing to significant imbalances in Microbiota in Fibro and ME patients, though there is no established causal relationship so far. Personally i think that the make up of the microbiome will prove to be a causative factor in so many immune related diseases. With new sequencing techniques microbiome science is exploding, with early indications linking MS, Autism, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, and CFS to alterations in Microbiome.
https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-016-0171-4

Daffodil

It depends how ill you are, if you are barely functioning then trying a potentially life saving is worth the risk. Im lining up an inpatient FMT for CFS for next year. The risk profile is low with an appropriately screened donor. Correct screening processes are readily available for people wanting to DIY.

There are quite a few studies coming out pointing to significant imbalances in Microbiota in Fibro and ME patients, though there is no established causal relationship so far. Personally i think that the make up of the microbiome will prove to be a causative factor in so many immune related diseases. With new sequencing techniques microbiome science is exploding, with early indications linking MS, Autism, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, and CFS to alterations in Microbiome.
https://microbiomejournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40168-016-0171-4
did u do it?

Yes, i did it with one of the best FMT clinics in the world in Sydney. Sadly i didnt get any noticeable benefits, however im still a firm believer in the theory as the evidence keeps building for it being a strong link to many auto immune diseases + anxiety/depression (there is so much positive data in germ free mice). The problem with current technology is that bad flora is embedded into the intestinal mucosal layer and FMT may not take hold strongly enough to clear these guys out. The clinic was working on a more thorough strategy to eliminate flora remaining before application of FMT. Ive decided to wait a few more years, and come back to it when the science and processes have progressed. In the mean time ive chipping away at every other possible diagnosis, kidneys, MS, lupus, thyroid, iron. Im now back to looking at my sleep which is fragmented as hell.