1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Divert the Mighty Amazon and Help Support Phoenix Rising - for Free!

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Phoenix Rising Team

Phoenix Rising Team

View the Post on the Blog

View the Post on the Blog
    Firestormm likes this.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    is there an australian amazon store??
  3. Purple

Purple Bundle of purpliness

Just bought something small on Amazon and earned around $1.00-$1.50 for Phoenix Rising --- depending on if it was 5% or 8% (is there a way to know this?)

It is worth bookmarking the links above and always access Amazon through the Phoenix Rising shop link (even if not necessarily ending up buying anything and just browsing, it's a good habit to get into ;)). Amazon is very generous in giving up to 8% to charitable causes. It can quickly add up!
    Sasha and heapsreal like this.
  4. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I'm afraid not; as far as we can determine the scheme doesn't run in Australia. If somebody finds that it does, please let us know. :)
  5. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Thanks Purple. :) The way the commission varies is quite complicated, I'm not sure if there's any way for you to tell, assuming it doesn't say anything on your invoice.

Indeed; it's a very generous scheme and a significant source of income for PR.
  6. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I take then that we might be able to order through the US site maybe??
  7. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    Don't know, can you order from the US normally? Wouldn't there be added charges for shipping costs?
  8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Occasionally I (in the UK) have ordered stuff from US Amazon that hasn't been available here and of course there are extra shipping charges (there's import duty on some stuff, I believe). But if you're placing an order with an overseas Amazon and you use Phoenix Rising's affiliate link, we'll get the 5-8% cut.

The % that Amazon donates doesn't appear on you invoice so there's no way of knowing exactly how much it is but it's a big whack. I wish I got 5% on my savings!

To my surprise, I've spent about £100 this month on Amazon - £30 on some full-spectrum lightbulbs, £50 on some books that aren't available through the library, £15 on some supplements - all of this stuff health-related, in fact, even the books! So that's £5 to £8 to Phoenix Rising just from me and just this month.

I only use Amazon when it's the cheapest/easiest way to shop (I can't get to the shops, usually) - so none of this is costing me anything.
    heapsreal likes this.
  9. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Great artcile Sasha, really makes the case well and I must try harder to use this: as you point out, it could fund PR if everyone used it.

Generally, I get to amazon by searching google uk for something I want to buy, and only go to amazon if it's cheapest. So I don't normally visit amazon directly, which I need to do to benefit Phoenix Rising.

Suggestion
    Because I'm lazy (as well as tired) and forgetful, I'd be much more likely to do this - rather than just planning to do this - if there was a visible Amazon button on every PR page. This would both remind me and be a handy button to click to give.

Don't know if it could be built into the PR system directly, or if not I'm pretty sure it could be incorporated into the 'Banner' used to announce new PR articles. You could either use a button for each country, or an image with links for each country's store, eg:

Give Phoenix Rising
    5-8% of your spend
    [​IMG]
    USA UK etc

OK, v clunky and I'm sure could be improved on but hope that gives the idea.

Meanwhile I have bookmarked the PR amazon page.
    Valentijn and Sasha like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

Thanks, Simon!

Mark and I have had some discussions about something along the lines of what you suggest but it's another item that's on the backburner until more volunteers come forward - there's a big pile of stuff that needs doing!

Meanwhile, I'm delighted (must get out more) with having the PR Amazon button on my bookmark bar. It's there all the time so if I want to go to Amazon, I don't have to come to the PR site - I just click on the Amazon icon (which I've labelled 'Phoenix Rising') on my bookmark bar.

If you search on Google for some product and end up on Amazon looking at it, if you go away from Amazon and come back to it through our PR link that item will be highly visible in your 'recently looked at' items so you'll easily find it again. Amazon is very good at shoving in front of your face the thing it thinks you're most likely to buy!
    Simon likes this.
  11. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    That's a really good point/idea, thanks.
    Sasha likes this.
  12. Lymelight

Lymelight

Brussels, Belgium
    So there is no way to be sure that Amazon effectively pays PR ?
    Happy this applies alos to french and german amazon sites that we use a lot !
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

You have a suspicious mind, Lymelight! :)

PR does already receive money from Amazon, though, from those people already using the links so I think we can be confident!
    Lymelight likes this.
  14. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    When I shop through the PR link for Amazon, I don't get any notice that money has been allocated to Phoenix Rising. How can I make sure that the link is actually working?
  15. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    As far as I know, the only way to check would be to notify us privately of the purchase details and we can check that it shows up on our Amazon Shop account.
  16. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY

Thanks.
  17. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    I mostly use my iPad. What I did was click on the US store link you provided and then bookmarked the page that came up, which was an amazon homepage:
    http://www.amazon.com/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=phoerisi05-20

Do you know if this will work? It has "phoerisi"in the address so it looks like it will.
  18. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    That's exactly the same URL as the original link (in general, you can't be sure that's the case, because it might redirect to another URL and store the codes in cookies, but in this case, clearly it's fine) so yes, that bookmark is fine. Thanks for bookmarking us Justin. :)
  19. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    By the way, Americans and Canadians - which is your big gift-giving day of the year? In the UK it's Xmas (and in most of Europe, I think, with a bit of variation).

Is it Thanksgiving in the US? What about in Canada?

Just wondering when to remind everyone about this Amazon stuff! :cool:
    OverTheHills likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.