Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Distress in significant others of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: A systematic review

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Woolie, Joh and Invisible Woman like this.
  2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Given some of the authors, I thought that quite a lot of this might be annoying. However they seemed to focus on reporting what was found and not much was annoying that I spotted.

Hutan and Valentijn like this.
  3. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The talk about Expressed Emotion towards the end of this long paragraph makes me nervous though I have to admit that I am not familiar with what it is being talking about.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Woolie likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I don't know what "emotional over involvement" means in this context but I'm suspicious of its use.

Valentijn likes this.
  5. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

"The small number of studies to date, the contrary evidence from a qualitative study, and the limited data available on levels of distress in significant others of patients with CFS/ME mean that our conclusion that distress levels are elevated is provisional. We recommend that future qualitative studies focus on this particular topic. "

I recommend that they stop wasting money and resources that could be better spent by the likes of Invest in ME.

Woolie, AndyPR, Cheshire and 11 others like this.
  6. Molly98

Molly98 Senior Member

"What does this study add?"
    Well F**k all actually.

I mean what is the point. A 5 year old could have told you this. "Mummy is ill, no one understands what it is, the doctors can't help her, she is too sick to work, daddy is worried and upset and stressed."

Are they just stating the bleeding obvious or what?
    If someone can figure out what the point is of this nonsense can you please let me know, because it is absolutely beyond me that they keep coming out with this utter drivel.

The only thing I can possibly think of is that they are trying to manufacture a situation to suggest partners of ME sufferers will also need CBT.

Surely, though, if your partner had cancer, Parkinson's, MS or many other long term illnesses which are pretty life changing you would be distressed. Is this not normal human behaviour?

7. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    To maintain their careers by publishing at best useless and at worst harmful drivel.

This paper is evidence of yet more squandered research funds and wasted time by posturing psychs. I'm afraid that alone is enough to get me annoyed, before I even get as far as the content.

Valentijn, Woolie, A.B. and 8 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.