• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Distinguishing CFS - New Zealand Research

slysaint

Is there a reason why they do cycling on an exercise bike rather than walking on a treadmill? Personally, I would find the walking much harder to achieve (on both attempts) and for me it's far more likely to trigger PEM.
Would be interesting to see results of both.

JaimeS

despite he was completly puzzled by the result, he still cited "deconditioning" as an explanation of the results

I've said this elsewhere, but I found it absolutely 1984-esque when the exercise physiologist handed me paperwork on how to ramp up exercise over time. I said, "you know that this, in and of itself, is the problem: that I am made worse by exercise. I've already tried this on my own, multiple times."

I expected an argument but instead, he said, "I know. I wouldn't suggest you do what the paperwork is telling you, but I'm required to give you this paperwork."

Thanks for being honest, nameless exercise physio.

Hutan

Is there a reason why they do cycling on an exercise bike rather than walking on a treadmill?

This article (linked by a someone on PR on another thread) has some interesting bits, among them some answers to your question. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/122/2/191.full

Assessment of exercise capacity typically is performed on a motorized treadmill or a stationary cycle ergometer. In the United States, however, treadmill exercise is generally the preferred modality.

Furthermore, untrained subjects will usually terminate cycle exercise because of quadriceps fatigue at a V˙ O2 that is on average 10% to 20% below their treadmill peak V˙ O2.13

Cycle ergometry also requires subject cooperation in maintaining pedal speed at the desired level, usually 60 rpm, although modern ergometers that are electronically braked maintain a steady work rate at variable speeds.

Several studies have demonstrated a consistent relationship between exercise capacity determined with a treadmill and a cycle ergometer, although the latter mode of exercise tends to produce a lower peak V˙ O2.14,15

Cycle ergometry may be preferred in subjects with gait or balance instability, severe obesity, or orthopedic limitations or when simultaneous cardiac imaging is planned.

I think it's also easier to keep you hooked up to monitors and the mask if you are firmly stuck in one place (on the bike seat), rather than flopping around on a treadmill.

I suspect testing on a bike is pretty standard for ME/CFS studies, so continuing with bike studies may help with comparisons between studies.

Lolo

I must add, however, that despite he was completly puzzled by the result, he still cited "deconditioning" as an explanation of the results, despite he knew very well that was not the case (if I was deconditioned, why did the first result came out normal? did I became deconditioned in 24 hs? did EXERCISE caused a state that is defined as THE RESULT OF LACK OF EXERCISE?), that he was seeing something new to him...
Good thing, he is not a ME/CFS researcher with logic like that. :confused:

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I've said this elsewhere, but I found it absolutely 1984-esque when the exercise physiologist handed me paperwork on how to ramp up exercise over time. I said, "you know that this, in and of itself, is the problem: that I am made worse by exercise. I've already tried this on my own, multiple times."

I expected an argument but instead, he said, "I know. I wouldn't suggest you do what the paperwork is telling you, but I'm required to give you this paperwork."

Thanks for being honest, nameless exercise physio.
How enraging... here in Argentina the law doesn't require any doctor to do anything, basically, they can do as they please... that's a good thing sometimes. Not that it helps for there to be ANY doctor that knows ANYTHING about ME/CFS