1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Distinct Cerebrospinal Fluid Proteomes Differentiate Post-Treatment Lyme Disease from Chronic Fatigu

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by GcMAF Australia, Dec 30, 2012.

1. GcMAF Australia

GcMAF Australia Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3044169/
    nPTLS and CFS have distinguishing CSF protein complements. Each condition has a number of CSF proteins that can be useful in providing candidates for future validation studies and insights on the respective mechanisms of pathogenesis. Distinguishing nPTLS and CFS permits more focused study of each condition, and can lead to novel diagnostics and therapeutic interventions.
    I know it is a bit hard to find out some of the information here as it is a bit of a summary. They are looking at proteins in the Pooled cerebrospinal fluid of Neurologic Post Treatment Lyme disease (nPTLS) and Chronic Fatigue (CFS.
    One interesting thing is that Table S5. (Pathway analysis for proteins identified only in nPTLS proteome.)
    • indicates that the melatonin pathway is affected in Lyme people , and not in the CFS group
    I am wondering if those people with sleep disorders that can be addressed with melantonin reflect that they have lyme disease??
    Also a lot of these are invoved in immunity for both Lyme and CFS, for example the Complement System and Coagulation System
    AFCFS likes this.
  2. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Well, the whole thing is very interesting. I think the issue of melatonin may lend to itself as good bio-marker, but is likely broader than Lyme disease:

Neurobiology of circadian systems.
    For what is worth, melatonin works great for me, 6 mg at night.
  3. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Melatonin helps some for me too.. I take 3mg.

But I wouldnt be surprised if those who fit the International ME concensus criteria also have melatonin issues (if compared to the general CFS group).
    AFCFS likes this.
  4. GcMAF Australia

AFCFS and Tania
    i am wondering if this means you have Lyme disease, just a thought
    AFCFS likes this.
  5. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    Nonsense. You can't diagnose Lyme disease based on responding to melatonin or not. Get the western blot from IGeneX.
    AFCFS and GcMAF Australia like this.
  6. GcMAF Australia

My point being that
    i was wondering if Lyme disease people had different melantonin issues
    AFCFS likes this.
  7. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    I don't think it is so clear cut. While groups (lyme vs CFS) might have general tendencies, surely there must be individual variation. Your output of melatonin is dependent on many factors.

What's interesting about the study is that Lyme and CFS seems to be two different syndromes, and can be diagnosed distinctly (some have suggested they are the same).
    AFCFS likes this.
  8. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

Certainly interesting but perhaps of concern is that although Fukada et al is referenced, there appears no clear statement about diagnostic selection, the tests having been carried out on 'banked' samples. Given the authors' use CF as interchangeable with CFS, reservations about what this means for CFS are probably warranted. Of course that doesn't change the the significance of the findings in themselves.
    Misread as per post below. Fukada was used for case definition.

IVI
  9. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    "CF" was never used, and "Chronic Fatigue (CFS)" was used once. After that it was called "CFS" or "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome". So in does indeed seem that they intended to say "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", and that Fukuda CFS is what they were studying and what the results apply to.
  10. In Vitro Infidelium

In Vitro Infidelium Guest

You are right - I missed this:
    CFS Subjects Both pooled and individuals CSF samples were analyzed. Equal aliquots from individual CSF samples were pooled to provide sufficient volume for extensive fractionation and two-dimensional LC coupled to tandem MS (2D-LC-MS/MS) analysis with immunoaffinity depletion from 30 women and 13 men (n[​IMG]=[​IMG]43) who fulfilled the 1994 case definition for CFS [1].
  11. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Currently trying to rule that in or out; I think the melatonin may have a small indicative role, but will not likely be the de-facto standard. I think it is likely a concomitant finding. Too many other things where others respond to melatonin, like jet lag.

Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of jet lag (pubmed):

See more popular forum discussions.