• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disease onset and progression?

Aerose91

I know I'm posting a lot here lately but I'm trying to get the whole scope of what I'm dealing with here and all of you guys are so knowledgable :)

I'm wondering if the disease onset and progression from the beginning plays a role in your likelihood of recovery?

For instance, my onset was acute. Very acute. I could tell u the minute this hit me and it was probably a 50% reduction in function immediately. Since then, it had been a steady progression downhill regardless of way I'm doing/taking. I have had a few major, major regressions after overexertion and both have been (so far) permanent. As of 8 months with a perfect diet and all the right supplements I continue to decline.

Does this prove my worst fears that I do not have a very good prognosis because I have taken such a poor path so far? I'm wondering what other people experienced in their first year or so of sickness

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I know I'm posting a lot here lately but I'm trying to get the whole scope of what I'm dealing with here and all of you guys are so knowledgable :)

I'm wondering if the disease onset and progression from the beginning plays a role in your likelihood of recovery?

For instance, my onset was acute. Very acute. I could tell u the minute this hit me and it was probably a 50% reduction in function immediately. Since then, it had been a steady progression downhill regardless of way I'm doing/taking. I have had a few major, major regressions after overexertion and both have been (so far) permanent. As of 8 months with a perfect diet and all the right supplements I continue to decline.

Does this prove my worst fears that I do not have a very good prognosis because I have taken such a poor path so far? I'm wondering what other people experienced in their first year or so of sickness

You are very early in the illness and this usually means you have a better chance of recovery. But, you need a good doctor. Many people do well with aggressive treatment (of the right type) at this stage.

A severe onset is not necessarily an indication that you will have a harder time recovering. Read some more people's stories here and you will see some of the patterns. Many people continue to decline without good treatment. To me this is an indication that it is a good time to look for the best testing and treatment that you can get.

Best wishes,
Sushi

caledonia

I don't think you can say anything about disease onset and progression and chances of recovery. I've heard of people in various conditions with various onsets being recovered, and not always within the first few years either.

I had a gradual onset, with an EBV reactivation dealing the final dramatic blow into disability. I felt consistently horrible the first year. Probably about as close to bedridden as you can get without actually being bedridden. Horrible MCS, reacting to everything, etc. Nausea, flu-like muscle and joint aches, horrible headaches, constant anxiety, you name it.

What is your treatment?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had sudden onset like you. I know exactly when the virus that I never recovered from hit. After my initial horrible fatigue I rallied for a long time.

If I had aggressive medical intervention I'm sure I would be in better shape than I am now but that was almost 20 years ago and there were only a few doctors around.

Find a good doc and start treatment. If you can't find one start treating yourself. You can get pretty much anything you want if you know where to look.

Mink

Aerose91

Thank you for the replies.
I have been seeing DR enlander for a couple months now and I am on valcyte even though he thought it was too early. I, however, pushed for it because of how bad I am. I also tested positive though for Parvo B19, M Pneumoniae, EBV on top of the HHV-6. He has me on his protocol but it is mostly just supplements that I was already taking anyway. I have since learned that there are some treatments for the other viruses that I have and like you guys said- I want to hit them as early as possible. DR enlander is a good doctor but he doesn't seem aggressive enough to me, especially since I'm in such a critical time here and I'm as bad as I am. Is there anyone else on the east coast that may be able to offer me a more aggressive approach? If not I will travel anywhere.

vamah

Maybe blessing in disguise. I am worried that, since my progression was so gradual, I have missed to opportunity to attack it agressively. Wonder if I will ever get back what I have lost over those years.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Look into Equlibrant or Oxymatrine. It's an antiviral that a lot of people are having luck with. I just ordered mine to add to what I'm taking.

Aerose91

Minkeygirl

Thanks for that link, very interesting. The only tests I had done for enteroviruses was for coxackie B viruses through dr enlander and that came back negative but I've now heard that that may not be sensitive enough.

I am interested in trying to get to to dr chia to get tested for enteroviruses because if oxymatrine or something else out there would be helpful for me I want to get ahold of it soon.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I don't know if I have enteroviruses but it can't hurt.

I also have psoriasis and the Chinese used oxymatrine to treat it.

It's cheap enough to try and there are people here who have has good results with acyclovir, which I am currently on, and oxymatrine.

Aerose91

I took acyclovir for a while and it didn't do anything, but Ill look into the oxymatrine. You don't need a prescription huh?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have really good luck with acyclovir. I'm waiting to hear if my doc will give me Famvir. If not I'll get it on my own.

You can get Equilibrant or oxymatrine without an rx. Most people get White Tiger Oxymatrine.