• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disease burden and funding in Spain (Need someone who can speak Spanish)

MNC

I came across the following study:

http://www.scielosp.org/scielo.php?pid=S1135-57272009000100011&script=sci_arttext

What I'd like to know is whether the source of data on funding in Spain included CFS as a specific category? (Will require a little bit of digging through the references, since CFS won't be explicitly mentioned in the paper).

Hi. I'm from Madrid. I don't see CFS as a specific category anywhere, but I am very unfamiliar with all this terms and I could be wrong.

If you want to make more specific questions based on your experience I will try to help.

For what I know, CFS has the number G93.3 in the the CIE-10 classification of diseases. In Table 1 in that page you provide, the G93.3 would be included in the Neuropsychiatric diseases, and below in Table 3 you can see the figures for these Neuropsychiatric diseases.

Regards.

Looking at the table with all the categories, I don't see it either, but my Spanish is not so good.

I also used Google translate, and there was no CFS, CFIDS, or fatigue. Of course it might not translate properly.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Hi,
I don't expect CFS to be listed in that paper, so I'd like someone to visit the references 30-36 to see if CFS or a related category is listed. It may need some digging to find those references, I hope they are publicly available.

Translation

Here in Spain, it's known as "fatiga crnica" - as I know only too well.

My wife, who suffers from it, was actually quite pleased that a doctor was able to recognise it, she was used to pot luck whilst living in the UK, as to whether a doctor would recognise it, or just say that it didn't exist.

The national health insurance system threw out her claim for it, when it became fiercer after cancer, and she was in no state to handle the stress of challenging their decision, and the general opinion here is that nothing can be done at all, just deal with it. And there are so many charlatans that we haven't done anything privately.

But at least I know what it's called now!