• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Discovery of Structurally Diverse Small Molecule Compounds with Broad Antiviral Activity Againts Ent

Gingergrrl

@Never Give Up I looked at the article but was wondering if you could explain it for non-sciency people like me! Is there an anti-viral for enteroviruses now? I actually have my consultation with Dr. Chia later this week so it is great timing. I was positive for two EV's one year ago but do not yet know what my recent tests show and will find out this week at my appt. I guess if they are negative it will not matter but if they are still positive, is there a treatment now?

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
UCLA researchers found a variety of compounds that inhibit the Enterovirus Coxsackie B3 from multiplying inside cells. The same compounds demonstrated antiviral activity against a number of other Enteroviruses. This opens up a whole new world of antienteroviral drug development.

We currently have combinations of medications which do go after Enteroviruses, but these new compounds look to be much more powerful and targeted than what we have now.

When is your appointment with Dr. Chia?

Gemini

@Kati I totally agree but at least it seems hopeful that researchers are working on discovering a treatment for EV's at all. I have no idea if this will ever pertain to me but am hoping it helps many people in the future.

Very much agree. Thanks to @Never Give Up for posting this interesting paper.

How researchers performed high-throughput screening of 85,000 compounds leading to their selection of 11 for further study:

http://mbioblog.asm.org/mbiosphere/2016/01/new-promise-for-treatment-of-enterovirus-infections.html

At the UCLA Lab besides their search for treatments, Susan Wollersheim's research into "dual rhinovirus/enterovirus" infections sounds intriguing:

www.uclahealth.org/provider/paul-krogstad-md

Nice that Dr. Chia is nearby!

Last edited: