1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Discover Magazine - Have all of you seen cover page or am I just running way behind!!

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by August59, Apr 14, 2013.

1. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Was cruising the magazine and book section at Walmart yesterday and my eyes found the cover of "Discover" magazine and it caught me very off guard with a top of the page headline - "Chronic Fatigue's Hidden Cause" pg. 72". At least on pg. 72 they did address things more correctly by using terms "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "Myalgia Encephalopathy",

I haven't even read the whole article, but it appears that certain "B-cells" if treated with Rituximab will rid the patient of most of the common illnesses associated with these diseases. I haven't seen he word cure yet, so I'm going to fall short of that one.

Was it common knowledge that this article was going to be published in a such a high profile magazine? I was under the impression that this treatment protocol had a long way to go yet! Am I wrong?

ahimsa, heapsreal and Enid like this.
  2. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

The article is not just about rituximab. (And yes, the CFS/ME community seems to have picked it up and reposted it widely, which is good). It's about the role of b-cells in autoimmunity, and how they work; the Fluge/Mella study suggests at least some CFS/ME might be due to autoimmunity driven by b-cell aberrations.

ukxmrv and Enid like this.
  3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Ok - I just wasn't sure and when I that on a magazine headliner it makes you a little like "Oh shxt".

There was or is coming up a virology meeting and it seemed to have lot of information about viruses and the parts of the body it used for a reservoir and where they like to migrate and kill cells.

Thanks

4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
  5. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

Whoa how did I miss this?

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of those who missed it the first time around (e.g. me)!

6. Jacque

Jacque Senior Member

USA - California
    Glad to hear the word is getting out...but Rituxan sure does not appear to be the answer for me..... ;(

See more popular forum discussions.