Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Discomfort with taking deep breaths?

Discussion in 'Autonomic, Cardiovascular, and Respiratory' started by Singout, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Singout

Singout

Hi, everyone,

A symptom I have intermittently--maybe linked to crashes, although I'm not sure--is what I call "chest strain." I don't have difficulty with normal breathing, but my lungs are resistant to taking a deep breath (like I would for a doctor or when singing a long phrase.) I can do it, and there's no pain, but just a resistance that normally isn't there.

I don't have any allergy-symptoms when this is occurring, except my chronic congestion.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks!

oceiv and minkeygirl like this.
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

I have this too. I believe it is a sign of bronchoconstriction but I don't know why it happens.

Singout likes this.
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I have that and it's one of my more annoying symptoms. I feel like I'm only using the top 1" of my lungs. Also at times I feel like someone took a vacuum and sucked the air out of my lungs. I can't figure it out but it seems better when my viruses are under control and when I've slept better.

Singout likes this.
  4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I had this when my urine pH was extremely acidic. When I finally managed to shift it closer to neutral, it subsided and I haven't had it anymore in at least 3 months.

Singout, Sherlock and L'engle like this.
  5. L'engle

L'engle moogle

Canada
    I think I've had it. Or something similar. Where taking a deep breath just doesn't work somehow.

Singout and Gondwanaland like this.
  6. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Air hunger is what my doctor called it. It has been part of this for years. The two MDs I have been to who helped me so much with their alternative medicine clinics are both of the mind that air hunger is an effect of candida overgrowth.

7. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    It was for me pre-CFS. Also now... sort of... usually. :)

As of today I go 100% no sugar.

But something new this past 1-2 years: I cannot take a very hard fast breath without coughing - usually, but it's okay today (maybe from plant anti-inflammatories). I have also had cold-induced asthma once - which might have killed me, literally.

The nightmare with lungs would be remodeling - which maybe takes years.

Singout likes this.
  8. Singout

Singout

Thanks, everyone!

@Sherlock @GracieJ : interesting, my naturopath has got me on a no-candida diet. Every day, I want to go no sugar (Good for you, Sherlock!) It's hard, but maybe today will be the day, with you to inspire me.

@Gondwanaland : How do you know when your urine is acidic?

@minkeygirl : I don't think I have viruses right now, but it's hard to tell--I think either the illness or my supplements repress normal viral symptoms. Love your narcissism tag!

9. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @Singout I'm not completely convinced it's viral but they seem to help. I had huge relief when I started acyclovir even though I wasn't feeling 'virally'. Who knows. Thanks re: my tag

Singout likes this.
  10. Sherlock

Sherlock tart cherry etc. for joints, insomnia

Czechosherlockia, USA
    Antimicrobials usually help to keep a sugar-caused candida flareup to be lessened: clove powder and iodine tablets especially. Good luck :)

Singout likes this.
  11. Gondwanaland

I have pH strips at home.

Singout likes this.
  12. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I'm looking into M. Pneumonia and C. Pneumonia, both of which I'm positive for.

13. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    I just read that beta blockers can cause bronchospasms. I take 30 mgs pm.

I don't know how long it takes to get out of the body or if it would cause spasms throughout the day. Half life is about 5 hours.

So something to look into for sure.

14. sillysocks84

sillysocks84 Senior Member

Hi, I'm new to this. I have had breathing issues since last thanksgiving. Feels like I can either breathe with my stomach OR just the top part of my chest. Is that what everyone else experiences? Also sometimes my throat feels small. It is pretty constant. It just varies from there but tolerable to real bad. I'm glad to be a part of your community, thank you!

oceiv likes this.
  15. oceiv

oceiv Senior Member

I have this symptom. For me, what causes it is misalignment of the spine, neck and head. The head gets locked into a forward position. The spine (mostly in the neck) would would be misaligned. There is a cascade effect downwards and all the way to the ribcage. The ribcage gets "locked" in a position, which makes it very hard to breathe deeply.

The reason I found out what was causing it was that I would notice that in PT sessions, at a certain point, I would always take a deep breath. From that point on in the appointment, deep-breathing would be easy. The locked pattern would recur at home. Then at the next appointment, once unlocked and aligned, a deep breath would naturally occur and then again, deep-breathing would be easy.

This treatment was the only treatment to dramatically help my ME/CFS symptoms, overall. But a congressional bill passed and made it impossible to get continued treatment, even out-of-pocket. :( After I had to stop treatment, I crashed hard, my illness became severe and I haven't recovered. But I would recommend PT/gentle adjustments/gentle myofascial massage to other patients with this breathing problem. The treatment needs to be gentle, otherwise the body resists and then "boomerangs" back into the locked position.

Edit: The forward/locked position I'm describing is described well in this article by Peter Rowe.

@sillysocks84 Yes, what you describe is how I experience this symptom too.

@Singout Just realized that this thread is from January.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
    melamine likes this.
  16. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    Do you have depression? One of my physical manifestations of depression is that I feel like I don't have enough air in my balloon so to speak. If you haven't done it, bag breathing can help to bring some relief, albeit just short temporary relief.

17. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

Are you sure it's a symptom of depression? I can't say I've ever heard of trouble taking deep breaths indicating a mood disorder. Seems rather unlikely, really.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  18. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    It's a symptom of my depression. I'm not making a blanket statement that everyone who has depression will have this symptom.

19. Gondwanaland

In my case it was either too much or too little serotonin. It is a metabolic roadblock (high ammonia?) which caused me depression. It was not a symprom from depression.

20. Rand56

Rand56 Senior Member

Myrtle Beach, SC
    @Valentijn with all due respect, how can you really say it seems rather unlikely? How bout you transforming yourself into my body to find out..haha. I've dealt with chronic depression for years so I feel I know my symptoms rather well, much better than you for sure. One time when I was totally depression free, all my air was back in my balloon. Sorry if you cannot accept or understand this.

Crux likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.