• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disappointing Visit to Dr. Montoya's PA

Hi Irene. Yes, I did test positive for Mycoplasm Pneumoniae. Stanford want me to do 3 monthes of antibiotics. I haven't decided what to do yet....I want a second opinion. My family doctor said I would be crazy to do antibiotics for that long. Isn't it dangerous....wouldn't it disrupt my gut microbiome....and would it fully recover when I stopped? Have you tried the three monthes of antibiotics? How did it go?

Treat the mycoplasma. I was much better after doing so with Clarithromycin. I took Jarrow Probiotics to restore gut flora. It's not crazy to take antibiotics that long. You need to treat the mycoplasma pneumonia. After three months, go off the antibiotics for 2 months, and get re-tested. Go back on them if the mycoplasma is still positive. I really liked the Clarithromycin. Also the myalgia that long-standing mycoplasma infections cause is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.