• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Disappointing reply from Mayo, need help with response - Cochrane Review?

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary Is there anything here you can use? Its from Peter Rowe's talk on OI/POTS at the event in the UK.

There was also another speaker who showed results of depleted resources in the body after GET.

I probably won't look at this right now at least. A few months ago I went through Mayo's website line by line and critiqued it the best I could - it took me a couple of months. In my letter to them re their website, I listed many sources for information, including information about the 2-day CPET.

So right now I am very narrowly focused on responding to the e-mail they sent me (see above) and the document with their new "article". That's all I'm doing.

However, if you or anyone else wants to prepare something to submit to Mayo, feel free. There is so much they are missing. I'm not saying at all that what you sent is not important; it's just not what I'm doing right now. :nerd:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Learner1 - I don't think I was quite clear in my above post. I don't think that videos are the best way to go for what I'm doing right now. I don't have the time or energy to watch them and then summarize the salient parts, and I believe the best form of information to provide to the Mayo Clinic is in links to published studies.

If someone has links to published studies verifying the existence of PEM and/or the harm caused by GET, then I'd like to see those.

medfeb

@Mary - Thank you so much for pursuing this.

In addition to comments about PACE and the Journal of Health Psychology special issue, you might raise one or more of the following with Mayo if you haven't already. Just ignore if you already have these points

1) Regarding Cochrane - you can point them to the AHRQ evidence review of CBT and GET in ME/CFS. https://ahrq-ehc-application.s3.amazonaws.com/media/pdf/chronic-fatigue_research.pdf

In 2014, AHRQ originally reported that CBT and GET were effective although they questioned the safety of GET. Like Cochrane's CBT and GET reviews, this review conflated CFS and ME and the supporting definitions as equivalent. But the review did conclude that Oxford should be retired because it included patients with other fatiguing conditions. It also
stated "GET was associated with higher numbers of reported adverse events" and "Harms were generally inadequately reported across trials." In 2015, an NIH report also recommended Oxford be retired because it "may impair progress and cause harm."

In 2016, AHRQ reanalyzed the data after excluding Oxford studies and as a result, issued an Addendum that downgraded their conclusions on effectiveness - concluded insufficient evidence for GET and barely any for CBT. It also said that "blatantly missing" from the evidence base were any studies using definitions that required hallmark symptoms like PEM.

2) The incompatibility of the biopsychosocial disease theory for ME - e.g. that the symptoms and debility of the disease are caused by false cognitions, fear of activity and subsequent deconditioning. That theory is incompatible with what the IOM said about the disease, what Komaroff said in this SMCI webinar, what the NIH director said in this blog (where they discussed problems in energy metabolism), and the results of the Rituxan trial.

3) Keith Geraghty's recent article discussing negative response to GET - this is useful as its published in peer reviewed literature.
Geraghty K, Hann M, Kurtev A. Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome patients’ reports of symptom changes following cognitive behavioural therapy, graded exercise therapy and pacing treatments: Analysis of a primary survey compared with secondary surveys. Journal of Health Psychology. August 29, 2017. http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/hWSxVIBTzDtqisvafkhE/full

4) The New York State Commissioner of Health specifically directed doctors that GET and CBT were inappropriate.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B37JHmPXER6JZkZRd0hIalA2bUE/edit
He said:
"In the past, cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) and a graded exercise therapy (GET) were recommended as treatments. However, these recommendations were based on studies that included patients with other fatiguing conditions. Because of the hallmark intolerance to exertion of ME/CFS, exercise may actually worsen the health of those living with this disease. Currently, there are no FDA-approved treatments for ME/CFS."

5) CDC has removed recommendations for CBT and GET from their website.

6) You might ask them
a) exactly what form of CBT and GET they are recommending for patients who meet the IOM criteria with its mandatory systemic intolerance to exertion (as opposed to findings in Oxford studies),
b) what the expected mechanism of action and expected benefit is,
c) what risks there are for patients at different levels of severity, and
d) on the basis of specifically what evidence are they making these recommendation?