Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Disabled claimants in UK to be told to get a job in 2 years or face a year's sanction.

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Countrygirl, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl ME is not MUS

UK
    https://skwawkbox.org/2017/07/17/di...2-yrs-to-get-job-or-be-sanctioned-for-a-year/

2. tinacarroll27

tinacarroll27 Senior Member

We need to get this terrible government out before they kill us all!!! Makes me feel sick worrying what the future will bring. :nervous::nervous:

3. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
  4. Alvin2

Alvin2 Senior Member

Wasn't here some countess looking into ME/CFS issues, anyone drop a line about this yet?

hellytheelephant likes this.
  5. SamanthaJ

SamanthaJ Senior Member

I had the same thought as I clicked 'like'. We need a 'thanks for posting' button for when the content is informative and necessary but sooo bloody awful!

6. Countrygirl

UK
    I have just answered an email from someone with ME who has been told by the DWP that their 'expert' has informed them that people with ME can cure themselves with 18 months by increasing activity. After that, her benefit will be removed.

:mad:

7. tinacarroll27

It gets worse and worse!! Who is this expert? someone from the PACE TRIAL?? :aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh::aghhh:

8. BFitz89

BFitz89

Charlotte, NC
    I feel we have a limited time of finding treatment before society has a partial collapse whether financial or some kind of major military action that will disrupt research and much more.

Too many signs pointing to major upheaval and global chaos by the mid '20's. Research needs to work fast or I fear we'll be stuck indefinitely.

Orla, Skycloud, TrixieStix and 8 others like this.
  9. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    If you get put into the WRAG you get Contributions based ESA. This is only payable for one year and then it is means tested (Income Based ESA). If you have savings you are stuffed.
    So at the moment you only have one year to not only get well enough to work, but to find a job as well.
    Same as healthy jobseekers.

10. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    That all sounds like such fun but I think I'll give it a miss, anyone wishing to use the nitrogen bottle after me please form an orderly queue

11. Sean

Sean Senior Member

That 'expert' needs to be named and shamed.

12. Countrygirl

UK
    From what I can make out from the information sent to me, it is someone who has attended a DWP course on 'CFS'.

13. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Is this something one of the ME charities could pick up on? The DWP should not be allowed to issue such a diktat without it being open to public scrutiny.

14. Countrygirl

UK
    Good idea, @Barry53 .

I am waiting for another reply at the minute but perhaps I will also suggest she contacts the MEA.

15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Dear goodness this is utterly appalling, what's this country coming to......

My heart goes out to everyone on ESA, the stress and fear they put people under it horrendous x

This just hasn't been publicised, we have to hope that when people understand what's going on there will be yet another u-turn.

Edit: Will the BMA and Royal Colleges speak out about this, they blooming well should!

16. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

There are large parts of this story that are wholly inaccurate.

Under universal credit, there is no requirement to get a job in two years.
    There is a requirement to do various things, depending on the level of 'conditionality' - but as long as you do them, you can't be sanctioned.

This can include various work-search and other requirements such as courses.

I've been following the development of universal credit, including reading the actual legislation, and reading adviser websites daily.

The cancelling of the WRAG premium is bad enough, as are other aspects, but this claim is at best a careless mistruth.

It may be a misinterpretation of 'contributions based' benefits, which do time out (and leave you on income based) after one year.

MEMum, Skycloud, TrixieStix and 6 others like this.
  17. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member

England
    Whilst I wouldn't put it past our wonderful PM to do this sort of thing, and it seems in line with other things I've read are being discussed by various parliamentary working groups, I did wonder why I hadn't seen anything about it on UK benefits assistance sites, so as someone who no longer has the brain to follow UC (or pretty much anything else) thank you for that debunking and explanation.

18. tinacarroll27

19. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

Im hoping more of this Victorian nonsense gets taken to court and gets defeated like the benefits cap and the bedroom tax.

At least this case below is a step in the right direction.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...lawsuit-court-case-judge-misery-a7802286.html

arewenearlythereyet likes this.
  20. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

So they're backing off the original claim.

There is no limit of two years if you don't find a job, for anyone on UC.
    You are not sanctioned if you do not find work. You are sanctioned if you do not perform actions towards finding work that are specified by your work coach.
    This may include if you're not in either of the 'sick' groups being required to interview and do your best at interviews, as well as courses, and other required activities. Simply not finding work does not stop your UC after a set period.

MEMum and Daisymay like this.

See more popular forum discussions.