1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
First Direct Evidence of Neuroinflammation - 'Encephalitis' - in ME/CFS
A small study with just nine patients has captured the attention of patients and researchers alike after reporting direct evidence of inflammation in the brain of ME/CFS patients. The finding was one of the highlights picked out by Professor Anthony Komaroff in his IACFS/ME...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Disability and chronic fatigue syndrome: a focus on function. (Ross et al., 2004)

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I have just read the following paper. It is sometimes quoted as showing that CBT or GET have been shown to restore the ability to work. See underlined bit.

Free full text: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/164/10/1098 or http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/164/10/1098

When one reads the full paper, there is not enough evidence to suggest that the underlined bit deserves to be in the abstract.
    It seems to come from Table 6:

[​IMG]

Here's the text:
    With regard to GET, there were 66 people in the trial.
    The actual figures in the Fulcher paper are:
    31/66 is where the 47% comes from. However, remember that half the group got another treatment initially (flexibility exercises and relaxation therapy) so one can't say that the GET was the reason for the increase. And there was no control group - these were Oxford criteria patients so maybe they would have improved anyway.
    WillowJ and oceanblue like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Thanks - I'll come back for another look at this. I think this is cited uncritically in the CFS Treatment wikipedia article.
  3. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    By the way, the quoted drop out rate for Akagi et al. is wrong, they've mixed the results of controlled/crossover and uncontrolled trials together. And Fulcher & White is a masterful piece of cherrypicking since they didn't give the baseline figures for the GET only group (I guess you can get away with that with a mediocre crossover study).
  4. oceanblue

oceanblue Senior Member

UK
    Thanks for this, Dolphin. I think they key line is:
    though of course, once that dodgy line about only cbt/get restoring the ability to work is out in the literature it can be uncritically cited at will.

One small point: I don't think natural recovery is limited to Oxford-criteria patients; whatever criteria used they need a control group of sorts to distinguish between natural recovery (and experimental factors eg scales used) and improvement due to the specific therapy.
    WillowJ likes this.
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Are you referring to any trials other than this one?
    Good spot:
    The PhD text shows most were working or studying at baseline (again the first line isn't for all the data):
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, agree. But research suggests that the looser the criteria for chronic fatigue/chronic fatigue syndrome, the better the prognosis.
    (ref: Joyce J, Hotopf M, Wessely S. The prognosis of chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome: a systematic review. QJM. 1997 Mar;90(3):223 -33).
    WillowJ likes this.
  7. Snow Leopard

Australia
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

But some of these were included in the final analysis:

Page 256:
  9. Snow Leopard

Australia
    The 51 responses appear to have included 47 from the 'treatment group' and 5 who did not. But of those who were in the 'treatment group', 27.5% had actually dropped out and there was a response rate for the followup questionnaire of only 61%.

All in all I think it is hard to draw conclusions from the way this data has been presented...

This actually seems to be a trend unfortunately. I've been trying to put the employment related data from both controlled and uncontrolled GET and CBT studies into a neat table. But this is proving more difficult than I imagined as the data is often incompletely presented making comparisons difficult. (or poorly controlled like the Sharpe CBT trial where far more of the control group were employed compared to the intervention group at the baseline which means the results are difficult to compare).
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I was trying to see what you are saying. But 47+5=52 (not 51) - have you made an error or is this correct?
  11. Snow Leopard

Australia
    You are right, I forgot to also mention the "but one reply had incomplete primary care attendance data." Which may explain why there are only 51 responses included.
  12. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Ok.
    Best of luck compiling the employment related data. I would be interested in seeing what you put together.
  13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

This group had also written this report, which made some worthwhile comments in 2002: http://archive.ahrq.gov/clinic/epcsums/cfsdissum.htm

The AHRQ are the American Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality

Thanks to WillowJ for digging this stuff up.

Simon, WillowJ, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    WillowJ and Dolphin like this.
  15. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    AHRQ has an ex-officio on CFSAC, Beth A. Collins Sharp, Ph.D., R.N.
    Senior Advisor for Women's Health and Gender Research
  16. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

As well as trying to tabulate what data there is it is worth recording those trials with missing data. i.e. why it cann't be easily tabulated - as well as the underlying assumptions in the trial (e.g. diagnosis method) and other measurements.

There do seem to be a very lot of small CBT and GET trials but they all seem to be structured so that results cannot be compared.

See more popular forum discussions.