1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Disability allowance appeal tomorrow

Discussion in 'Finances, Work, and Disability' started by Furball, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    That's all good advice, justy - and I think it was you who told me about the benefits & work site. Like you, I got DLA at the highest rate for mobility and middle rate for personal care without a medical, just on paper.

justy likes this.
  2. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Yes, and if you get higher rate mobility then that entitles you to a blue badge, and free road tax. So i can always park right outside the shop etc and can save energy for walking in the shop, or to the facility etc.

3. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I should have said, this incident with the CAB was in 2004. I didn't know very much about ME or "CFS" then.
    They asked me if I could cook a meal. I said yes, but only twice a week. They ignored the "but only twice a week" bit.
    I tried to tell them what I'd given up in order to get myself there, and how I would suffer for it later (I did know that) and they gave me that cold, hard stare... the one with the narrowing eyes and slightly pursed lips, that goes so well with the very clipped voice that accompanies it, ignored me and went rapidly on to the next page. They could not get me out fast enough.

Sasha, it is meant to refer to the claimant's detriment - or somebody else affected by the claimant. I do not believe the wording is to exclude the claimant.

But.... who can make any sense out of all this complicated wordy stuff? I can't. Not with brain-fog and restricted short-term memory capacity.

Sasha likes this.
  4. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    It's a disgrace in the UK I'm afraid. If you have ESA already and had an ATOS medical then get a copy as evidence for the application - maybe only helpful for future reference.
    It's impossible for them to dispute.
    They ignore other medical opinion which is perhaps illegal but they do it. But you can challenge. Ask on what basis they prefer their more junior doctor (if that's the case), they can't give a reasonable answer to that.
    Also complain if they do anything wrong. Assuming you have the energy. Taking it all the way takes years. My complaint is two years old now and at the ICE. After that it may go to the Parlimentary Ombudsman.
    I just got rejected for DLA. So have a second complaint started now as they acted appallingly. I'm confident I will get it overturned but it will take months for that and the complaint being heard will be another year or two.

It is much easier to deny you and me benefit than the benefit cheats who will lie as much as possible and have unlimited time and energy to tackle them.

How a country treats its vulnerable citizens is perhaps the best measure of society. The UK is a joke. Maybe just as bad elsewhere tho.

taniaaust1 and Furball like this.
  5. Furball

Furball

This is all excellent help, thank you so much.

I haven't been out once since Friday & that was only as I had access to a car. I know tomorrow is probably going to put me in bed for a while but I really feel strongly about doing this, not just for me, mostly because the farcicality of attitudes to ME.

Very true snowathlete , isn't it awful that people who are ill are made to feel guilty or embarrassed about the fact that we're broken & having to fight like this is exhausting .

6. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    I hope it goes well for you Furball with as little stress as possible, even though I know the odds are that is highly unlikely

Furball likes this.
  7. anna8

anna8 Senior Member

good luck! furball! you'll be in my thoughts tomorrow, i'm not sure were this is from but it always make me smile:)
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass..
    it's about learning to Dance in the Rain!

8. Furball

Furball

Whoever wrote it was definatley in the UK this Summer

9. Furball

Furball

I'm out..... Phew that was eventful. Having a well earnt coffee at the moment.

I got DLA... Will go into detail once I'm home... Long day. Thank you all so much for the advice.

Furbie XX

taniaaust1, Sea, justy and 3 others like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Congratulations! :balloons:

Thanks for letting us know.

Yes, you've definitely earned a coffee!

peggy-sue and Furball like this.
  11. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    I would throw in a piece of sumptuous chocolate. Congrats!

peggy-sue, Furball and justy like this.
  12. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!:thumbsup:
    You've cheered me up with this news no end - you're getting your entitlement - it will help you cope a little bit better with living with this DD (Damned Disease), it will make a difference to your life on a small, but daily basis.

Worth celebrating. I think I will join you in your celebratory coffee!
    Slange, cheers and bottoms up!

anna8, Furball and justy like this.
  13. anna8

anna8 Senior Member

congratulations!! what a relief!:)

14. Furball

Furball

Well I'm back home & having a lie down.

So, they " awarded" me the lowest rate but backdated from July last year, they did state however that I could appeal to have it upgraded as its clear that my condition has decreased since then & they suggested that I do so ( I thought that was very kind of them)

They have 2 sittings a week of DLA appeals where I went & they said that at least 1 a sitting is ME related , which concerned me .

So, beers on me then... But I think I'll need a day or two to recover from today's ordeal :)

Thanks so much xx

15. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Well done!
    I'm really delighted for you - you got your award. Calling it that would be silly if not for the fact that you actually had to earn your entitlement by going through the silly process and appeal hearing. You should feel very pleased of yourself!

16. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Fantastic news - sorry you had to go through all this to get it.!

peggy-sue and Furball like this.
  17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

'Congratulations'. Sorry to hear that your health has declined, but hopefully having access to DLA will help you get back on an even keel.

18. Sea

Sea Senior Member

NSW Australia
    That's great news Furbie, what a relief

Furball likes this.
  19. anna8

anna8 Senior Member

Hi furball I hope you have recovered from the ordeal of you appeal last week and once again congratulations!
    I have my appeal on Wednesday! Terrified!! So any advice that you think may help would be welcome..

20. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    It seems strange I know, but congratulations anyway :) I can imagine the relief - I certainly shed many tears and took some time to come around.

Might I ask for how long they made the award? I 'won' my appeal some months back and was awarded low care and low mobility for 3 years.

Others I know have managed an 'indefinite' award more recently but I'm not overly clear that this depends on anything other than the panel's opinion of the condition.

Perhaps age is taken into account along with the degree to which the condition is affecting our lives at the time of the application - based on the evidence presented and on our own testimony - and indeed for how long we have been incapacitated.

Still it seems rather arbitrary - but then I don't suppose it can be anything else.

Congratulations again. Rest up and try to recuperate :)

Furball likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.