• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestion/Nutrition Status Testing

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
richvank, in previous posts you have mentioned the following tests:
Diagnos-techs Expanded G.I. panel
Metametrix G.I. Function test
Genova Diagnostics NutrEval
Metametrix ION profile

You said that the latter two give some information about the condition of the digestive system. Do they give enough to make them a reasonable substitute for the first two? Which one or two of these tests (or any others you know) would give good information/dollars spent for someone wanting to start addressing digestive system issues? I realize that my final choice may be limited by what is available through my physician or directly to clients.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
richvank, in previous posts you have mentioned the following tests:
Diagnos-techs Expanded G.I. panel
Metametrix G.I. Function test
Genova Diagnostics NutrEval
Metametrix ION profile

You said that the latter two give some information about the condition of the digestive system. Do they give enough to make them a reasonable substitute for the first two? Which one or two of these tests (or any others you know) would give good information/dollars spent for someone wanting to start addressing digestive system issues? I realize that my final choice may be limited by what is available through my physician or directly to clients.

One helpful bit of information here when choosing tests: the Genova NutrEval test is very expensive (a good test, I've had it) but, if you have good health insurance and have paid your deductible, you will only have to pay Genova a small payment and your insurance will pick up the rest. Genova has arrangements with major insurance companies.

But you don't want to have to pay the full price of this test yourself.

Sushi

invisiblejungle

The Metametrix ION and Genova NutrEval are a combination of different test panels, which can be useful, but not all of them may be necessary for your particular condition.

In regards to digestion, the Metametrix ION includes their Organix Profile and the Genova NutrEval includes their Metabolic Analysis Profile. (These tests are very similar.) They would offer some information about your digestive health, since they test for different compounds released by bacteria and yeast.

You can view a sample report here:

http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/sample-reports/Organix-Comprehensive-Adult-SR.pdf

I just noticed that Metametrix offers the different sections of their profile as separate tests, so you could do just the Organix Dysbiosis Profile to save money, instead of doing the comprehensive profile.

However, the Organix and MAP wouldn't necessarily serve as a substitution for a good stool test. A stool test can actually detect specific organisms, pancreatic enzyme levels, fecal blood, anti-gliadin antibodies, etc.

http://www.metametrix.com/files/test-menu/sample-reports/GI-Effects-GI-Function-SR.pdf

I've done both the Metametrix Organic profile and their GI Effects comprehensive stool analysis, and they both showed different information. Some people claim that the stool test shows what's going in the colon, whereas the organic acids test shows what's going on in the small intestine. This is possible, since my Organix profile showed no issues with yeast whereas my stool test showed very high levels of yeast.

If I had to only choose one, I would probably go with a stool test. (Collecting your poop is an unforgettable experience! :thumbsup:)

By the way, almost every specialty test is available for direct purchase. I've never had insurance, so all of my tests have been bought online. I usually use Directlabs.com or Integrativepsychiatry.net. For regular blood tests, I go through Privatemdlabs.com.