• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Digestion enzymes and rashes?

optimist

Hi!

The last few days I've had two small rashes on my left forearm, and today another small one appeared on the lower part of my right leg... I suspect their caused by some digestion enzymes I am taking.

According to this page: http://www.livestrong.com/article/320514-digestive-enzyme-allergies/
it is possible.

Three questions:
Has anyone had a similar reaction?
Did you have to stop, or did the rashes go away after a while?
My concern is if there are any dangers of getting worse reactions, like it says in the link above, one could get breathing troubles, if I do not stop taking them? I am home alone for some days, and I would not like to get breathing troubles when nobody is around. Just wondering if you think there would be any risk?

Gingergrrl

@optimist I've been taking digestive enzymes for months with no rashes but with this disease I believe that anything is possible. Do you have a reliable doctor that you can ask or were you taking them on your own? Which brand is it?

optimist

I guess I've been taking them for just over a month now. It's a Norwegian brand:
http://supershift.no/product/superzym-1-bredspektret/

These are the enzymes in Norwegian names, but I guess they are quite similar in English:
Pepsidase – 25.000 HUT
Amylase – 9.500 DU
Protease 6.0 – 10.000 HUT
Protease 3.0 – 40 SAPU
Protease 4.5 – 15.000 HUT
Glucoamylase – 12 AGU
Lipase – 1500 FIP
Alfa-galactosiadse – 100GalU
Pectinase – 10 endo-PGU
Malt diastase – 400 DP°
Invertase – 325 SU
Cellulase – 100 CU

Perhaps it is just some funny reaction to something I am not aware of. Perhaps if I should be allergic to these, the rashes should have come from the start?

I am taking them on my own, not by doctors advice. But, they've been super helpful to me.