1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Digestion enzymes and rashes?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by optimist, Jul 9, 2014.

1. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    Hi!

The last few days I've had two small rashes on my left forearm, and today another small one appeared on the lower part of my right leg... I suspect their caused by some digestion enzymes I am taking.

According to this page: http://www.livestrong.com/article/320514-digestive-enzyme-allergies/
    it is possible.

Three questions:
    Has anyone had a similar reaction?
    Did you have to stop, or did the rashes go away after a while?
    My concern is if there are any dangers of getting worse reactions, like it says in the link above, one could get breathing troubles, if I do not stop taking them? I am home alone for some days, and I would not like to get breathing troubles when nobody is around. Just wondering if you think there would be any risk?
  2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I'm just wondering if it would cause a rash in one small area? Seems odd to me.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @optimist I've been taking digestive enzymes for months with no rashes but with this disease I believe that anything is possible. Do you have a reliable doctor that you can ask or were you taking them on your own? Which brand is it?
  4. optimist

optimist Senior Member

Norway
    I guess I've been taking them for just over a month now. It's a Norwegian brand:
    http://supershift.no/product/superzym-1-bredspektret/

These are the enzymes in Norwegian names, but I guess they are quite similar in English:
    Pepsidase – 25.000 HUT
    Amylase – 9.500 DU
    Protease 6.0 – 10.000 HUT
    Protease 3.0 – 40 SAPU
    Protease 4.5 – 15.000 HUT
    Glucoamylase – 12 AGU
    Lipase – 1500 FIP
    Alfa-galactosiadse – 100GalU
    Pectinase – 10 endo-PGU
    Malt diastase – 400 DP°
    Invertase – 325 SU
    Cellulase – 100 CU

Perhaps it is just some funny reaction to something I am not aware of. Perhaps if I should be allergic to these, the rashes should have come from the start?

I am taking them on my own, not by doctors advice. But, they've been super helpful to me.

See more popular forum discussions.