The power and pitfalls of omics part 2: epigenomics, transcriptomics and ME/CFS
Simon McGrath concludes his blog about the remarkable Prof George Davey Smith's smart ideas for understanding diseases, which may soon be applied to ME/CFS.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Different types of head pain

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by taniaaust1, Nov 29, 2016.

1. taniaaust1

taniaaust1 Senior Member

Sth Australia
    Hi all, I'm curious if anyone has any idea why we get one kind of head pain over the other kinds we can also get with this illness.

eg I currently have a ME head pain (woke up with it and feeling a little ill..nauseus.. all I assume the after effects of being taken shopping yesterday) which is what I'd not describe as a normal headache but more like my whole head and brain is all over sore. Like an injury kind of soreness as if you'd grazed something type of sore. My whole head feels like how my elbow would feel if I feel down and grazed it.

What would cause this kind of "sore" head pain over the normal headache. I do know I can relate my POTS to "my head is going to explode" kind of pressure head pain I get when upright which is different again to normal headache.

Anyone, got ideas on what causes the "sore" on and through head thing this feeling like my head is a sore thing is extending down into behind my ears a little (where you'd rub if you had put in ear drops and wanted it to go in better). Back of neck is quite right with this either.. a little sore too.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  2. roller

roller wiggle jiggle

have you ever had a PET/CT scan of the head during that time?

3. purrsian

purrsian Senior Member

I don't think I've felt what you describe. I get the POTS head pressure, as well as other pressure/fuzzy/dizzy type feelings all the time (I think due to a mild sinus/ear type of infection that my body hasn't been able to deal with as it started after the flu years ago). Recently, I've also been getting headaches that my doctor thinks are cervicogenic, as I have very tight muscles in my shoulders, neck and back. They are normal pain type headaches though, originating at the back of the neck on one side.

Otherwise, the only head feelings I get are the kind of flu type feelings. Is the pain you describe external feeling, or internal too?

One thing I did notice when I had my cervicogenic headaches (they are mostly gone now with acupuncture) - my usual pressure/fuzzy/dizzy type feelings went away, and came back as soon as the headaches dissipated. My doctor explained this is actually to be expected, because the nervous system prioritises one type of pain at a time, so when the sharp pain is occurring, the dull pain and sensations are't perceived much.

4. paul80

paul80 Senior Member

Does it feel like brain inflammation? I get what feels like that and it different from headache. But i also feel it all over my body and feel really on edge and anxious.

I don't know what causes it but i get it on average about once a month and it goes away gradually over several days.

See more popular forum discussions.