1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Different feeling PEM depending on activities

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional Malaise, Fatigue, and Crashes' started by soxfan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    PEM is my most debilitating and troublesome symptom. I am wondering if anyone experiences what I do...
    My PEM feels different according to what activity has brought it on. Like when I work and get home I am almost always crashed the minute I walk in the door. I usually lay down and my body is in total turmoil not being able to settle down. I feel as though my entire insides are trying to recover and rest but unable to. It is an extremely uncomfortable feeling and just goes on and on. I can rest for hours but it can't be relieved. I need total quiet. It usually doesn't feel better until the next morning.

Now if I go out with a friend to a movie or lunch I still experience PEM afterwards but it is more of a physical tiredness not like when I work. I can still treadmill and have no after effects.

I am now trying to decide if I need to stop working because this (after 6 years) is becoming more of a problem for me. I have no trouble getting through my shift at work and only work 2 days a week but the after effects are terrible. Now today I am just very tired but the inside turmoil has gone.

So does anyone else experience different feelings of PEM according to activity? I am really very upset and worried that after all this time of struggling trying to hang on to my job I might have to give it up. I am hoping this is just a bad time period and will get better.
    Thanks

2. L'engle

L'engle moderate ME

Canada
    I get different kinds of PEM. From exercise I get fairly sharp pains in the back of my head as though the blood vessels were straining to get enough blood through. From mental exertion it's more an all over head, dull heavy ache that gets sharper if I push through it. From social interaction it's more of an all over body ache and weakness.

3. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    All my PEM is the same, just lesser or greater depending on how far I've overdone it. Body ache and weakness, extra foggy, etc.

Your description actually reminds me of a chemical sensitivity more than PEM. What kind of work do you do? What kinds of chemicals, paints, markers, cleaning products, pesticides, etc. might you be exposed to?

I've gotten the most help on my MCS by doing Richvank's protocol. Neutralization drops from my environmental medicine doc where very helpful before that.

4. soxfan

soxfan Senior Member

North Carolina
    I have worked in a chain pharmacy for 18 years. Only within the past 6 months has my PEM from working become bad..keeping me in bed for at least a day afterwards.

I really think it just might be all the activity of stocking shelves, helping customers, the bright lights, interacting with co-workers. I think maybe it just overloads and over stimulates my brain and causes the turmoil in my body which leads to the exhaustion.

I am also in the middle of a cortef taper..almost off completely so not sure that is a factor. I will give this a little while longer and if I continue to have major problems from working only a 6 hour shift then I might have to give in and quit...the after effects are too overwhelming and uncomfortable.
    thanks for the reponse.

See more popular forum discussions.