1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: In Free Fall Through the Looking Glass
Jody Smith continues to try to put into words the horror of the altered state that hobbles the brains of those with ME/CFS...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Difference between ME and Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by filfla4, May 16, 2013.

1. filfla4

filfla4 Senior Member

Can anyone refer me to some reliable information on the medical difference between ME and Fibromyalgia? I know the obvious....can be co-morbid; etc etc however I need something which is quotable and will be used by my local media.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    According to the Canadian Consensus Criteria (published as "Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Clinical Working Case Definition, Diagnostic and Treatment Protocols"):

3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    Kathy and Alan Light found gene expression differences between FM patients who do not meet criteria for ME/CFS, and ME patients:

and patients with ME/CFS (patients meeting both Canadian and Fukuda criteria):

They go on to explain that this is a bigger sample, includes people who are less ill, and allows more medications. All of those things could contribute to fewer findings in this study compared to the earlier study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3175315/

A.R. Light, L. Bateman, D. Jo, R. W. Hughen, T.A. VanHaitsma, A.T. White, and K.C. Light. Gene expression alterations at baseline and following moderate exercise in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Fibromyalgia Syndrome. J Intern Med. 2012 January; 271(1): 64–81. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02405.x
    Valentijn and Tristen like this.
  4. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London

See more popular forum discussions.