• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

difference between inosine and imunovir

Denise

Would this question be appropriate in the treatments and therapy section of PR?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Dr Rey has told her patients that they are the same. There are some here who have tried both and felt inosine did not benefit them

Don't know the answer about plasma

SOC

Dr Rey has told her patients that they are the same.
Close, but not quite. What she has said is that they are very similar and inosine is easy to get in the US while Imunovir is not available in the US has to be sourced from Canada, so it's usually sufficient to go with the easier and cheaper one.

Eeyore

They are absolutely not the same.

I've looked at the chemistry here in some detail.

Imunovir contains 3 compounds.

You can use the molecular weights and molar ratios to calculate how much of each is present.

500 mg of imunovir is equivalent to;
135.6mg of inosine
156.4mg of DMAIP (Dimethylaminoisopropanol)
208.0mg of PABA (para amino benzoic acid)

If you take, for example, 3 imunovir, you will be taking about 405mg of inosine, less than in ONE 500mg inosine pill. Taking them in the same amounts (same number of pills) will cause a much, much greater increase in serum uric acid with the inosine, and could precipitate gout.

The DMAIP is a rather mysterious chemical. I have not found it used anywhere else for human consumption. The patents for imunovir suggest that amino alcohols could be used, such as DMAE (dimethylaminoethanol). This is available as a supplement, but we have no data on whether or not it helps or is safe in ME.

PABA may be inert. Bacteria use PABA to make folic acid I believe (off the top of my head). I'm not sure what value it has in imunovir or if it's only added to stabilize the amino alcohol.

Studies on DMAE in humans (which is different) have shown it makes skin look younger - but it may do this by somehow increasing size of intracellular vacuoles, which may not be good for you. I'm not really sure. I think some of the activities of imunovir may be on intracellular phagosomes, but it requires further study.

The most important point here is that imunovir and inosine are not the same thing, and they cannot be substituted milligram for milligram. 1 500mg inosine pill is between 3 and 4 imunovir pills in terms of inosine content.

I think the DMAIP is biologically active and important. I'm not sure how yet. It's one of the things I looked at at one point but have no firm conclusions on.

I have had generally excellent results with imunovir. It's not clear why.

i'm actually trying to raise plasma inosine levels. I know a lot of oral inosine will become uric acid. but I want to know if some inosine will show up in blood,plasma, or serum.

i'm actually looking to increase blood ,plasma or serum inosine levels. with oral inosine a lot of it become uric acid, but I don't know if any of the inosine will make it to the blood plasma or serum. and I don't know if any of the oral imunovir will increase blood plasma or serum levels of inosine either?

Eeyore

Curious why you are looking to increase serum inosine?

I'd expect that inosine does enter the bloodstream but it is converted to uric acid.

This website (http://www.nature.com/scibx/journal/v2/n29/full/scibx.2009.1132.html) says the following:

In any case, Schneider suggested that systemic delivery routes are likely to be challenging because of the small molecule's short plasma half-life. “Greater than 95% of inosine is cleared from the plasma within 5 minutes,” he noted.

So it seems that while you may get it to the bloodstream, it won't last long. This is consistent with what we know about adenosine (another purine), which also has a very short half life but is somewhat better understood medically due to its uses in cardiac emergency situations (it's used to dilate vessels and to normalize certain types of supraventricular tachycardias, so it has been better studied).

It may be that any therapeutic benefits that are achieved with inosine in Me patients (as I know it is used by a number of ME docs) are based on increasing uric acid. There have been some studies that have deliberately tried to increase uric acid in MS patients. I'm not sure of the quality of the evidence, but there appears to be at least some reason to think that MS is related to low uric acid - although the exact link is unclear and it's unclear if raising uric acid has a real beneficial effect on MS, either preventive or therapeutic.