• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Differance between BP while lying and sitting

Cindi

Hi all

Do you know how many mm Hg difference may be expected between BP's lying and sitting. I can not measure my BP while sitting as I am too exhausted but I wish to have an idea on possible difference to be able to compare my results with normal sitting position Bp. Thanks.

taniaaust1

Both as long as both are when at rest and relaxed when taken, I dont think would vary all that much.
(Thou if you had an issue such as postural hypotension.. it could drop on sitting.. depending on how bad the hypotension is).

Cindi

Thanks for the information. I think there should be a difference. For normal people standing Bp is about 10-20 points higher than lying Bp.But,yes.. you brought another issue into my attention. Normal person's Bp variation may not apply to my case as I have postural hypotension problem. Thanks.

fawkes

Yesterday's gone.
Just last week I had a doctor's appointment - 120/ when I came in, sitting; later almost 140/ when I was lying down comfortably. So, yes, I think higher when lying down may be the case with those of us who have orthostatic problems.