1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A Little Poisoning Along the Road to ME/CFS
Looking at my symptoms, many of which are far less these days and some are gone, it would be easy to figure that I'd just been dealing with some heavy-duty menopausal issues.
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Food Groups

• Grains - much worse / somewhat worse/ no effect / somewhat better / much better
    • Dairy -
    • Meats -
    • Legumes -
    • Vegetables -
    • nightshade vegetables
    • Fruits -
      * dried fruits
    • Nuts -
    • Starchy foods (potato's, sweet potatoes, cassova, etc.) -
    • Sugary Foods (sweets, candy bars, etc.) -
    • Caffeine -
    • Salt
    * don't know

Diets

Please check the diets that you have tried to battle CFS

• Atkins
    • Stone Age / Paleo
    • Elimination
    • Macrobiotics
    • anti-candida
    • gluten-free
    • casein-free
    • gluten-free & dairy-free
    • low fructose
    • vegetarian
    • alkaline
    • specific carbohydrate diet
    • Blood Type Diet
    • Genotype Diet
    Intolerances

• phenol intolerance
    • sulphite intolerance
    • salicylate intolerance
    • Histamine intolerance
    • Fructose malabsorption
    • Lactose intolerance

Ask about Salt in Diet

awol version
    Please add anything you wish. No need to ask!

Have you been officially diagnosed with any food allergies or intolerances? Please list:

Have you tested positive for coeliac disease? ? Yes ? No

Have you been tested for food intolerences?

Which, if any of the following diets have you attempted since becoming ill?
    ? Atkins ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? Stone Age ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? Macrobiotics ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? anti-candida ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? Specific Carbohydrate diet ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? Alkaline Diet ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects
    ? Low Oxalate Diet ? extremely helpful ? moderately helpful ? no effect noticed ? negative effects

Have you ever tried an elimination diet to determine food sensitivities? ? Yes ? No

Please select which non-allergy food sensitivities you have, and which symptoms they affect:
    ? phenols symptoms:
    ? oxalates symptoms:
    ? sulphite symptoms:
    ? salicylate symptoms:
    ? histamine symptoms:
    ? fructose symptoms:
    ? lactose symptoms:
    ? alcohol symptoms:
    ? artificial colouring symptoms:
    ? aspartame symptoms:
    ? beans symptoms:
    ? caffeine symptoms:
    ? chocolate symptoms:
    ? citrus fruit symptoms:
    ? complex carbs (starch) symptoms:
    ? corn symptoms:
    ? dairy symptoms:
    The specific problem is ? casein ? lactose ? unknown
    ? gelatin symptoms:
    ? gluten symptoms:
    ? MSG symptoms:
    ? mushrooms symptoms:
    ? nickel symptoms:
    ? nightshades symptoms:
    ? nuts symptoms:
    Please list which ones:
    ? soy symptoms:
    ? sugar symptoms:
    ? yeast symptoms:

2. rhiannon

rhiannon

north wales,uk
    With me, certain foods cause certain symptoms, eg banana = IBS, dates = mouth ulcers, tea = thrush of the feminine variety, eggs = acne. I wouldn't be able to tell you whether food groups in general make me generally better or worse.

3. julius

julius Watchoo lookin' at?

Canada
    Cort, I assume this is going to be a survey? Could you add casein free/gluten free to the diets section. It could conceivably be three entries; one for casein free one for gluten free and one for both together. I've cut out both and noticed a significant improvement.

Also some people find nightshades a problem.

4. awol

awol *****

I am with rhiannon. Broad groups of foods may not be the best way to do this. Lots of us have problems with gluten for example, but that does not mean we have a problem with all grains. Rice, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth all still ok.

5. Victoria

Victoria Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia
    I can only generalise as I haven't had tests because of CFS or FM.

I've had blood tests, xrays, ultrasounds & MRI's because of symptoms and/or family history of specific diseases (or injuries over the years).

I've developed diet & supplement regimes over about 25-30 years in an attempt to improve my own health & a natural interest in diet, nutrition, alternative therapies & exercise (not because I've been diagnosed with FM or CFS).

Therefore, in general, I can't answer the questions posed. There's a few herbs & supplements I have tried for energy or inflammation, but the supplements I take are those that the general public might take.

I joined Patients like Me out of interest in what their forum was like. I didn't get very far, because I couldn't answer the questions.

6. awol

awol *****

Victoria,

I believe the point of this Wiki is for us to develop questions together that DO work for us. This particular worksheet is about food specifically, but there is one for supplements, one for tests, one for medications, one for symptoms etc. feel free to add/modify/make suggestions that will make it work better for you!

7. Tony

Tony Still working on it all..

Melbourne, Australia
    I added low fructose diet as well as gluten free/dairy free. Around 45% of us have fructose malabsorption so as a problem food it's right up there.

8. IntuneJune

IntuneJune Senior Member

NorthEastern USA
    Project

Foods: I am in agreement a good idea is to divide the categories further........wow, this is not easy. And it would be best to keep this user-friendly as it is now. But for example, in the starchy foods, there might be an arguement to separate them into low glycemic and high glycemic groups as folks can "crash" after intake of the high glycemic foods.

IBS could be a whole project on its own. :eek: So certainly the note attached to IBS category is appropriate.

Symptoms: Unfortunately, I was DIAGNOSED over 30 years ago, and my symptoms have waxed and waned, and blossomed again, also I grew new symptoms. I have also forgotten a diagnosis. (I get copies of my reports and was going through them the other day and noticed a dx I hade completely forgotten.) It would be interesting to note the onset of the symtoms or diagnoses (if we can remember) and when in the timeline of the illness the sym/dx cropped up. (Or is that already listed :ashamed:).

Going for another cup of coffee.

Thank you for doing this!!!!

June

9. kim501

kim501

To Diets section, please add Vegetarian.

10. mhj

mhj

Norway
    Diet: Low in gluten-fructose-histamin, no milk (casein/lactose int), no sugar, no egg, no a lots of other food/drinks. I am not having allergies, only intolerances.

11. Athene

Athene ihateticks.me

Italy
    In terms of special diets, I think it would be useful to include the Specific Carbohydrate Diet as I know a number of people who use that. I would also add the Alkaline diet as this is the one prescribed by De Meirleir and it is quite widely ued for CFS nowadays.

In terms of specific non-allergy food intolerances, we need
    phenol intolerance
    sulphite intolerance
    salicylate intolerance
    Histamine intolerance
    Fructose malabsorption
    Lactose intolerance
    which are all very common in CFS.
    This would umbrella over a few of the other intolerances you have listed, but there are overlaps between the groups I have listed above so it could be useful to leave the separate options as well.

12. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    Thanks, I think we have most of them in there now.

13. leaves

leaves Senior Member

Could we add in a low oxalate diet?

See more popular forum discussions.