• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diet and improvement

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
For me it isn't so much that avoiding these no-no's makes me feel better it is that if I eat any of them I feel almost immediately worse! It just isn't worth it.

I try to keep some OK snacks around for hunger attacks and that works pretty well. If you don't have any of the stuff you shouldn't eat in the house, in our case, we probably don't have the energy to go out and buy them during a moment of craving. :lol:

Sushi

xchocoholic

I'm finally getting back on the paleo low oxalate diet and feeling better, less inflammation.

I was a fairly strict paleo for about 5 years but gave it up in January 2013. I was frustrated that it didn't cure my cfs and tired of depriving myself the processed foods that are so prevalent today. I hate food preparation and I want to eat what everyone else is eating.

I seem to crave things, eat them for a few days then my cravings go away and I don't want them anymore. As a pwc with limited energy I'm trying not to beat myself up if I cheat nowadays.

tc ... x

ps. My cdsas have been positive for candida all but once in the last 5 years.
And yet most of my neuro symptoms are gone. I get an itchy scalp from corn and corn starch or shampoo. I'm ok if I use the
natural dish soap on my hair. Weird.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
5 years means a strong will. Addictions run deep, you never know until you lose something that you "needed". That happened to me with orgasms. My personal take in diet is that real healing will mean two things: 1. You can eat whatever you want and still be relatively symptom-free (like almost everybody else) 2. You no longer crave crap stuff and actually enjoy more natural food.

Last edited:

xchocoholic

Yeh, it wasn't so much will power as it was being completely pissed off that my doctors allowed me to be so sick for 15 1/2 years when all it took was a diet change to eliminate most of my symptoms.

Being able to walk normally again after 16 1/2 years really pushed me over the edge. This is why I can be so angry with the medical profession at times.

Gluten is poison to me. And a simple genetic test was all that was needed. I have the dq2 gene for celiac disease and nuero problems are common.

I'm trying to be more strict about diet. On the upside, I gave up grains again. : )

Ya'll are helping. Thanks. X

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have been reading that sugar should be avoided, I'm a big sugar person. Does anyone know if honey is included in that 'avoid sugar' category?

Honey has a lot of the same properties as sugar (cause it basically is sugar!), so is in the "avoid" category, though because of the way that white sugar is processed honey is better for us than sugar and has some very beneficial properties itself.

Sushi

roxie60

I desparately wanted to be social so decided to go out to a collectors meet with a couple of people and then we ate (I also worry now about going out to eat with people). I had eggs, biscuit, white country gravy, grits with butter and bacon. For some reason in the last three years I have been having intestinal probs.....the only think I should have had was the bacon and grits but I have been on restricted diet for over a year and I fell off the wagon. Well the gastro issues have been coming back and I just made it home in time to rush into the bathroom. Paying the price when ty to be 'normal'

As a side note, in a discussion on the way back home one of the people mentioned 'she isn't working', I dont think it was meant to be derogatory but I know I am very sensitive now since I've lost my job and have to admit that comment stung. Made me sad and frustrated. People only see me when I feel well enough to venture out and this time I took the risk to do more, let someone else drive (which meant getting home was out of my control, knowing I might have to ask them to stop at a gas station if I had problems, I even mentioned it earlier. It started hitting me 5 or ten minutes from their house and that meant another 15 minutes to my house. I never said anything to them about the problem).

I dont understand why these intestinal problems started in the last few years, they have been really bad. Would sap whatever energy I had left.

I have been reading that sugar should be avoided, I'm a big sugar person. Does anyone know if honey is included in that 'avoid sugar' category?

Raw honey is one of the better sweeteners to have. Paleo recommends only having 1 tsp a day, but some people do more. Raw is not transparent like typical honey. The typical one is heated a lot and that destroys beneficial things in the raw honey.

xchocoholic

@roxie60 I've met several celiacs who have this reaction to gluten. My drs answer was to take imodium everyday. It wasn't until I changed my diet, gluten specifically for me, that completely stopped.

I hate to think about all the damage I caused to my body from eating gluten for 15 1/2 years after getting what was probably gluten ataxia.

My need to be normal wasn't helped by going to celiac support group meetings and watching them eat all those gf but cross contaminated normal foods. It just made me feel sorry for myself because I can't handle gluten cc.

tc ... x

xchocoholic

btw. dpp-iv appears to minimize gluten reactions but it's expensive. I like the enzymedica glutenease. I need 2-3 at each meal tho.

The last I read this was controversial but some of that is because they don't want celiacs thinking they can eat gluten and take this supplement.

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Mnnn honey, strange things happen me with honey. In the medical literature it is shown clearly that raw honey actually is antimicrobial, decreases leaky gut and inhibits candida albicans.

However, when I eat it I get more gut discomfort, and start to break out in itchy scalp and nose flaky eczema. Does that means inhibition or boost? In the Internet people list more dandruff and eczema as "die-off" but I am not too sure. I don´t enjoy being the dandruff machine. And it itches! o_O

Last edited:

Plum

I have tried everything for my ME that I can think of and so far diet is the only one to consistently help. I've done vitamins, herbs, Acupuncture, Bowen Therapy, Perrin Therapy, hormone replacement, Osteopathy, parasite cleanse, etc.!
I have been on some form of Paleo since I got chronically ill 4 years ago. I don't notice a difference with dairy. I can't do any grains now due to gut issues. I eat only organic meat and veges, No fruit, no sugar, 1 coffee or tea a week, no alcohol, no grains of any kind.
Since the UK dropped the ban on feeding GMO to animals I will only eat organic meat and organic veg. I don't eat out ever. I prefer to go hungry now than eat something bad for myself.

In a way I am 'lucky' as my gut issues cause me so many hours of pain if I eat the 'wrong' thing so I have to stick to this way of eating.

My blood sugar is completely under control. I sleep better. I haven't had a crash - although this is usually due to over doing it.

I personally feel diet needs to be focused on way before supplements and anything else - but, hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
That´s hardcore paleo Plum. I haven´t got the "guts" to handle it, and, it made me a walking skeleton too the months I managed to do it (I wasn´t thoughtful with calories). However, I am not surprised it works for you, all the science supports it is the the healthiest diet.

Plum

That´s hardcore paleo Plum. I haven´t got the "guts" to handle it, and, it made me a walking skeleton too the months I managed to do it (I wasn´t thoughtful with calories). However, I am not surprised it works for you, all the science supports it is the the healthiest diet.

I can definitely see why it would make people lose weight. Although the overall Paleo philosophy is about eating lots of good quality, animal fat. If I could handle it I would make desserts as I have a sweet tooth. Due to egg allergy and not being able to eat grains I have recently had to give up my love of gluten free cake!

I think the version of Paleo chosen depends on everyone's personal circumstance. I have no choice right now but to eat this way. Good, balanced Paleo includes root veges, dairy (especially raw and or fermented), desserts as long as gluten free etc. I haven't always been this strict but have still had many benefits from gluten exclusion and making all food myself.

Sound like paleo is helping a lot of people here :) I feel soo blessed that I tried that this summer
I wonder if maybe I just have celiac, but then I was tested with an upper endoscopy before....
I have some of the best days in 4 years lately :)
I still get sick sometimes, i'm trying to figure out what else could that be
What food sensitivity tests do you recommend? Which lab is the best?

thanks
K

Plum

I've used a test you can do at home called Food Detective. I've also heard the best way is a rotation diet. Look it up for instructions. But then you could miss some that you would never have imagined.

Last night I reacted to some fresh mint tea - who would've thought of that?!