• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Die-off or kidney disease? N00b in need of advice!

Hi there! I am following the GAPS diet to help resolve severe leaky gut and fructose malabsorption. My doc thought it beneficial to test for MTHFR as well due to the bone-crushing fatigue I've been dealing with for the last few months. I tested positive for the C677T mutation (homozygous) but my B12 levels were within range (564). My doctor advised me to start this supplement:
https://www.xymogen.com/products/product-detail.aspx?pid=122

So I started it this last weekend. I also got a massage on Sunday and my masseuse found a knot in my back. She's fairly certain it's just a very deep muscular knot, but is a little worried that it might be inflammation in my kidneys. Over this week I've had some worrisome symptoms develop and think they are either due to die-off with the new supplement or might indeed have something to do with my kidneys:

I have horrible flank pain/soreness, headaches, leg cramps, sharp pain in legs when walking, back pain (started out lower only, now both upper and lower back are sore), severe nausea, my feet/ankles are swelling so bad I can barely get shoes on and every now and then I'm getting a weird, sharp shooting pain in my left forearm from my elbow to my wrist. I have Lyme Disease (in remission) so I'm pretty familiar with herxing/die-off and I'm a bit worried as some of these things aren't typical to what I know of die-off. So I just thought I'd reach out to some of you who are more experienced with MTHFR treatment. Could these symptoms be die-off from the Methyl Protect? I cut back to only 1/3 a capsule but I'm still feeling all the symptoms full tilt. I'm calling my doctors office first thing on Monday (they're closed today) to notify them of the new symptoms but in the meantime any input would be greatly appreciated!

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Yikes! Sounds like low potassium! Better check into that AT ONCE or you die! Stop the supplements until you figure it out!

Most of us who take methlation supplements also supplement potassiu,. I supplement 500mg/day in powder form. SOme of us have had emergency visits to the hospital and found low potassium. It causes shooting pains in the legs for instance. There are threads herein somewhere about potassium shortage. Freddd is the guy who made the discovery. I have blood pressure issues and do not medicate so I can always tell when I need more potassium via my top number of my bp being elevated. You should read the potassium threads. Just eating a babana won't cut it.

You should know your potassium readings. If you run high then maybe you can't supplement. If you have ANY kidney issue then you can't supplement. You need to get potassium tested. It IS an emergency.

Well I just got labs back that were run about a month ago and it shows my potassium levels being within range. All of the numbers related to kidneys were off, though. eGFR of 33, creatinine 1.8 and BUN 32. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow.

I believe triffid is referring to potassium deficiency that can be caused by your recent methyl b12 supplementation. Since you had your potassium checked a month ago it wouldn't reflect a possible deficiency since you started taking it last weekend.

Ahhh, gotcha. Well they re-tested yesterday and rushed results and while my kidney stuff has improved a little, the numbers are still out of range. Potassium was within range, so think I'm good on at least that front. Are there any good threads where yall have covered the subject of die-off/herxheimer reactions when beginning the b12? I'm almost completely convinced that's what's going on. I stopped taking it on Friday and the further I get away from there, the better I'm feeling. Maybe I'm just being hopeful because I desperately don't want kidney probs.