• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did you have any problem with aerobic exercise before becoming ill? Like childhood?

[Edit: just remembered my mom telling me: "you sigh a lot, have you noticed?" at high-school age. "Are you sad?" I turned to stare at her in surprise: I wasn't sad in the slightest, so I wasn't sure what she was talking about. Then I caught myself taking a really, really, really deep breath and whooshing it out. Once she pointed it out, I couldn't 'un-feel' it. I was doing it all the time!

Oxygenation problems seem to be present ever since early adolescence...]

Just wanted to ditto on the sighing. One of my kids does it too - the most I'm most concerned about developing CFS/ Fibro - because she already has some other symptoms I had at her age. Didn't realized I'm a "sigher" until someone pointed it out.

JaimeS

Didn't realized I'm a "sigher" until someone pointed it out.

Exactly. It's a subconscious thing when it's minor. These days I get significant and uncomfortable air hunger on hot days. (Makes me dread the summer and early fall...)

I'm also very flexible. Though I don't have any of the genes that are understood to cause EDS, my first diagnosis on my ME/CFS quest was "benign joint hypermobility".

The balance question is interesting -- my mother is like that, and she has ME/CFS as well. Just uncoordinated, and it's something she mentions a lot. She's broken her toes and stubbed them repeatedly... and discussed how useless she is at anything athletic, though she goes walking (she's in the 'very, very minor' category of CFS).

On the other hand, I've seen video of myself moving and it's very studied, as though I still think I'm in the ballet classes I took from ages 5 to 8. I've never broken a bone and have had few serious accidents, even though I'm dizzy all the time, and have been for at least a decade. I wonder if this early training is responsible for the fact that I haven't yet tumbled arse over teakettle, or if it's coincidental.

Strawberry

Oxygenation problems seem to be present ever since early adolescence...

I can relate to that one! The first time I went to a doctor complaining of very unusual fatigue, that was the only thing he could find wrong with me was low oxygen. This was almost 30 years ago.

I did many sports as a teenager, and did gymnastics from very early youth through high school. Even with being very athletic, I was the slowest on the soccer field, slowest on the track, and weakest on the bars. Even though I was able to do the "cross" on mens rings, I could only hold it for about 3 seconds.

I loved sports, but I was always teased because I truly sucked.

Another thing that just came to mind, when I was about 26, I took an aerobic class where the object was to just get your heart rate in the aerobic range for x amount of time. I started with stair stepping aerobics with the highest step (10 inches?) and it didn't even get me breathing heavy, while everyone else was panting. So I decided to go run laps around the track, and I could BARELY get my heart rate to 150. The teacher thought I didn't know how to read my pulse right, so checked himself.

JaimeS

No. I had some minor issues due to mitral valve prolapse but other than that I was running and cycling for hours.

I was very active too, as were some of the other people here... the question has morphed into whether you ever had any issues with or during activity even if you were super-active; or if you had odd metabolic symptoms (shortness of breath for no reason, e.g.) even when you weren't trying to be active.

Shortness of breath and heart palpitations are among the symptoms listed for MVP (https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mvp/signs)

Although they say the symptoms wax and wane and aren't that tough for some. :)

ljimbo423

even though I'm dizzy all the time, and have been for at least a decade.

I have minor problems with dizziness, although I have them quite often. I think it has to do with my eustachian tubes being partly blocked, from inflammation is my best guess. My ears pop a lot because of it, especially when I start a new supplement or drop/increase the dose on one I am already taking.

For years, I didn't even realize my eustachian tubes were blocked, until I improved my health enough for them to become partly open. That's when they started popping and I realized that they had been blocked for many years.

JaimeS

My ears pop a lot because of it, especially when I start a new supplement or drop/increase the dose on one I am already taking.

YAS, it used to be that how I knew a new supplement was working was that I would feel a strange tingling up the back of my neck and over my scalp... and the first few ornidazole doses, my ears popped and so did some of my sinuses. Same with Vinpocetin.

Ah, the memories...

tudiemoore

Nah. Healthy enough but couldn't ride a bike until I was 11, was really relieved when PE was no longer required in school, etc.
I just felt that I didn't like those activities.
Now I consider any and every thing as a possible predictor of my downturn re:health.

I try to give little time to this pondering and try to focus on getting in there to take my supplements, take a "nap", look for something somewhat healthy in the refrigerator.

And, of course, check with y'all for new ideas, thoughts, new research!